Melindeeloo's Reviews > Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-romance, urban-fantasy, steampunk
Read from March 30 to 31, 2012

4.5 stars - Tish, thinks she's still dreaming when she wakes to find herself naked in the presence of an oddly compelling man in a top hat, Criminy Stain, who just so happens to be the man pictured in an usual locket she's just acquired. She finds it hard to believed that she is actually in another world where there are lots if critters who think human blood is a yummy snack and that she's there because opening the locket triggered a spell to bring Criminy the perfect woman he's been waiting for.

I just have to rave about Wicked As They Come, once the heroine makes it to the world of Sange, with its predatory vampire bunnies, I was totally hooked. I especially liked the early parts of the story set in Criminy's carnival where Tish learns about the world, meets her fellow performers and where she gets to use her newly discovered and rare ability to 'glance' and see the future. I loved the very unique world with its steampunkish trappings, and touch of magic and the off kilter characters that lived there really appealed to me. The magical gypsy Bludman, carnival master Criminy Stain was an interesting hero, perfect in his surety of his love for Tish, whom he calls by her full name Latisha, but with an edge of danger to him, because as a Bludman he is a predator too.

I would say however that story with its first person narrative and alternate world was probably more UFish in tone than paranormal romance that it claims, even though the story follows the one couple. Additionally, there wasn't much tension in the romance department since the leading man is totally committed to winning the heroine from the beginning - but that didn't really bother me because the pair have places to go and things to do and I enjoyed their adventure – and there were three love scenes (mild on the sensuality scale).

Others have mentioned that they were unhappy with the ending since it didn't explicitly connect the dots to the happily ever after for Criminy and Tish, but I thought that there were enough little things here and there and in the heroine's visions that I was happy and sure that they would end up together. So the bottom line is that I really liked Dawson's steampunk/paranormal/romance Blud series debut and now I can't wait for the next one – Wicked as She Wants which stars a different couple but has a character we've already getting his one HEA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as They Come.

03/30/2012 page 52
03/30/2012 page 158
41.0% "I am really liking this one, the leading man is so wierdly compelling and the carnival setting in a world with vampire bunnies is just so offbeat and interesting"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I'm so glad you enjoyed this!!

Melindeeloo I appreciate the rec, Thanks again:)