Lora Carroll's Reviews > Stone Soup

Stone Soup by Jon J. Muth

May 06, 12

A gentle yet powerful classic that reminds us of the importance of community and the magic of giving. John J Muth's watercolours add a special touch to this version of a the story. I love the way that the little by little a selfish community is transformed before our eyes into one of love and celebration.

Publisher's overview:

Award-winning artist Jon J Muth retells the favorite tale of a selfish community who is tricked into creating a delicious soup from stones. Set in China in Muth's hauntingly beautiful watercolors.

Three strangers, hungry and tired, pass through a war-torn village. Embittered and suspicious from the war, the people hide their food and close their windows tight. That is, until the clever strangers suggest making a soup from stones. Intrigued by the idea, everyone brings what they have until-- together, they have made a feast fit for a king!

In this inspiring story about the strength people possess when they work together, Muth takes a simple, beloved tale and adds his own fresh twist. Stone Soup by Jon J. Muth

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Soup.