notgettingenough 's Reviews > The Whistleblower: Sex Trafficking, Military Contractors, and One Woman's Fight for Justice

The Whistleblower by Kathryn Bolkovac

Mar 30, 2012

bookshelves: haven-t-read-but

Having just expressed my conviction that the bio-pic is an evil thing, I come to an example that seems to work. May I say that cautiously.

I have not yet read the book, but from what I can see from looking at Bolkovac's site, very little has been changed to create a movie which provides a non-sensationalist look at the UN Peace Keepers' activities in Bosnia.

I have to say, the thing that struck me as most horrific was not even to watch the tale unfold of the despicable actions of these men who have such a position of trust. They trick girls into coming to Bosnia from other countries, and keep them in chains, let them out to perform sexually now and then. They are also bought and sold within this group. The horrific thing is that the US government, that's the one that Obama is in charge of at the moment, still does business with the contracting company that the book exposes. The company itself, if you look at their site, now has a mission statement that makes it look like it cares. Yeah, right. This is so repugnant to me that words fail, that the people involved in these appalling activities got off without any punishment whatsoever and their employers are still buddies with the US government. SHAME ON YOU, Obama. Not for the first time since Obama has taken the reins in the US, I can't help wondering what would have happened if Hilary Clinton had been the chosen one instead.

I have to say, I really didn't want to go to see this movie. I've seen enough 'shit happening to women movies' in my life, I could well imagine what it was going to be like. If you are a girl it will put you off sex. But still, read the book or see the movie, just so people like Obama do get that we care.

The UN actually put out a 2 hour press conference dealing with this book and said that everybody was being made to watch the film. I guess, since UN Peace Keepers, we find out from this movie are often almost completely uneducated, the UN couldn't tell them to read the book. You can see the press conference online here: http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/webcas...

You can see more about the story at Bolkovac's site here: http://www.bolkovac.com/

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whistleblower.

05/06 marked as: read

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny It is shocking that the company in question, if I understand correctly DynCorp, has not been closed down, or at the very least lost all its government contracts. I can only think of one reasonable excuse the US government could make: that all its competitors were even worse.

I really hope that's not true.

message 2: by Paul (new)