Amanda's Reviews > The Hound of the Baskervilles

Sep 19, 13

bookshelves: book-club-made-me-do-it
Recommended to Amanda by: Ruth Provost
Recommended for: Mystery Lovers; Anglophiles

I was not looking forward to reading The Hound of the Baskervilles, but it was this month's book club selection and, as a good little book clubber, I knew I had to persevere. The book had two strikes against it: 1) I really don't like mysteries and 2) I envisioned several pages about a couple of boring Brits (not to be confused with Monty Python Brits) who occasionally stumbled over a body. One of the great things about book club is that it often proves me wrong. I really enjoyed the book, although the answer to the mystery seemed a bit obvious (probably because so many shows/movies/books today seem to mimic Doyle's mysteries, so modern audiences expect them to unravel in a Sherlock Holmes way). Holmes reminded me a lot of television's House, and so my only complaint was that the arrogant braggart wasn't in it enough to entertain me with his often curt and direct manner. Overall, enjoyable and I plan to seek out the short stories soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of the Baskervilles.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes The connection between Holmes and House is real. The latter, addictions, arrogance, brilliance, doctor buddy and all is based on the former, including the name, which is intended to suggest home.

message 2: by Brandon (last edited Sep 20, 2013 05:28AM) (new)

Brandon Will wrote: "The connection between Holmes and House is real. The latter, addictions, arrogance, brilliance, doctor buddy and all is based on the former, including the name, which is intended to suggest home."

Also, on the show, Wilson is his Watson.

EDIT - you pointed that out. Me dumb.

Amanda I probably read this 3 years ago and remember feeling pretty clever when I realized House is Holmes and Wilson is Watson. It was comforting to know I wasn't just seeing something that wasn't there--which happens far more often than I would like to admit!

message 4: by Will (new)