Elizabeth Gorski's Reviews > Dangerous

Dangerous by Alycia Linwood

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: nook-epubs, read-it-and-reap, reviewed
Read from March 28 to April 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Ria Milanez and her best friend, Paula Arnolds, are preparing to start the final step of their young adult lives…their educations at the University of Magic. While Ria is looking forward to her education, she especially excited by the ideas of making friends, attending parties and dating…someone with the same magical inclination as herself, of course. Paula has a completely different set of plans laid out before her. She is looking forward to the opportunity to study individuals with the “magic disease” and she has her eye on one individual with the magical disease in particular, Adrian Liandre, a fellow classmate. Paula may believe that Adrian is safe, good looking and all things dreamy in the universe. Yet, it’s Ria who finds that she may need Adrian’s help and understanding in ways which she isn’t entirely comfortable with, nor does understand them.

When I first started reading Dangerous, Book One of the Elemental Preservers Series, written by Alycia Linwood, I really wanted to like it. The plot idea was original and intriguing and I was excited to have the opportunity to read it. Unfortunately, my desires and expectations were way off the mark on this one.

Ms. Linwood has the potential to make this a good series. About two-thirds of the way through the novel, the plot finally began to smooth out and become the outstanding novel I knew it could be. Prior to that point, it was a roller coaster of inconsistent writing and too little show vs tell.

For the first two-thirds of the novel, I really wanted to like it. I wanted to be able to write a glowing review. What I got, was a novel set in a high school/junior college, which felt like it was a repeat of high school for me. It was drawn out, tired and just painful at times with cursing, frequent excessive drinking, which of course led to getting drunk. All of these things came together to create a novel that was juvenile and felt forced.

Now Dangerous had its share of issues, I’m not denying that; however, there are positives as well.

The main characters are very likable and easy to relate to. Ria is up-tight, slightly boy-crazy with her priorities in the right order – friends, boys, studies. Her best friend, Paula, is Ria’s polar opposite in every way. Paula is studious, easy going, and while she does set her sights on one boy, she will never be mistaken for a boy-crazy teenager. The only thing I wish I had more of where the characters are concerned was background. I wish I knew more about them – where they came from, what they like, what they don’t like, what makes them tick (besides boys or studying). As much as I liked the characters and could relate to them, I also felt as if I hardly knew them.

Then for that final third of Dangerous, I simply couldn’t get enough. I couldn’t find enough time to read. I wanted more! It felt like Ms. Linwood had finally found her voice and knew exactly what she wanted to say. The dialog became more natural and flowed easily with the context of the novel itself. As if someone had flipped a switch, the novel suddenly clicked. It all came together. In my opinion, the final third of the novel is what saves it from mediocrity. If not for that magical piece (pardon the magic pun), the novel would have been a shell of what it could have been.

As for the sequels, I’ll likely read the next one for a few reasons. First, I want to see where she takes things from here. Most importantly, I’ll read the second novel to see if Ms. Linwood manages to maintain the momentum she found in the end of Dangerous and carry it over into Book Two. If she can carry it over, there is hope for the series. If she loses it, I likely won’t read past Book Two.

If you are looking for a paranormal novel with magic, witches, wizards and all other things magical, then I would suggest you check out the Harry Potter series, if you haven’t read them already. Also if you are an older teen or a young adult (early twenties), then you might enjoy the House of Night series by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast. It’s also about magic but it tends to have some rather intense situations that aren’t really appropriate for teenagers or younger teenagers. Overall, it’s a fantastic series and I highly recommend it.

I was given this novel by the author to read and give an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous.