Melissa's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: supernatural
Read from May 17 to 21, 2012

Full Review Here

This is going to be a confusing review because that is how I felt during and after reading...so confused. I am giving it 2 stars because there were a few things that really turned me off. Yet, I still want to read the second book that comes out in August 2012. Let's break it down.

What I didn't like
1. The ghosts are solid. One human character kisses a ghost. This repulsed and I'm not sure why. I mean, I like twilight and that is a 108 yr old vamp kissing a human, but somehow this seemed worse. I mean I know Edward was dead, but the ghosts in this story seemed extra dead if that's possible.
2. One "ghost" doesn't have eyes. Instead it has buttons or something. I don't remember, but I do remember it creeped me out and didn't make sense. How could it see? Why didn't it have eyes?
3. There was only one major plot twist and one surprise. I like when plots are fast paced and action packed. This was kind of slow moving.
4. It didn't seem realistic. What 17 year old boy would give up having a girlfriend or normal life to kill ghosts? What mom would let her son give up everything, skip school, etc. to kill ghosts (especially since that's how her husband died)? And when one of the character's die no one seems to really care or grieve.
5. I didn't know the main character was a guy until around the second chapter. His name is Cas and I thought that stood for Cassidy. There were no descriptors really at first.
6. I still have no idea how the voodoo type stuff works. I hope it explains it in book two.

What I liked
1. The cover. It pulled me in right away. The red stands out against the gray. It looks really creepy and foreboding.
2. Anna is strong yet vulnerable. I liked seeing her change yet I feel she changed too fast.
3. Thomas was my favorite character. He reminded me of Stiles from that show Teen Wolf on MTV. He was a great sidekick and brave even though he's nerdy. He felt the most real to me.
4.The creepiness. For some reason this book thoroughly creeped me out, but in a good way. Like sitting around a campfire telling ghost stories...not like watching Paranormal Activity in the dark before sleep (I don't recommend that to anyone) lol.

Overall, the negative outweighed the positive for me. I just was left wanting more at the end. I'm hoping book two will answer some of the questions I have and hopefully it'll have more action. If you're interested, I linked two reviews that gave this book 5 stars below. I follow these blogs and trust their opinions so before you decide not to read this book look at their reviews. I think I'm just one of the very few that didn't think this book was amazing so I'm not sure you should take my word for it on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.

05/19/2012 page 145
46.0% "This book is kinda creepy"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrice (new)

Patrice Good review, so well thought out and delivered concsiely. Thanks!