Sarah Messick-Milone's Reviews > Five-Finger Discount: A Crooked Family History

Apr 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned
Read from March 23 to April 19, 2012

OK, so now with two kids I just can't take the time to finish books I'm not enjoying that much. Plus, Doug and I were reading this one together and he's not one to make time for a book that he's not totally loving either. So once again, this rating is based only on what I managed to finish-- in this case 98 out of 272 pages.

That being said, this book will hold a lot of interest for native New Jersey-ians and for anyone interested in tracing the history of a large working class family from the Depression through to now. Stapinski's family is full of characters and to the degree that her memoir sticks with her family it's actually pretty interesting. In the portion we read though, she kept going off on tangents about the corrupt politics and politicians of Jersey City. I wasn't quite buying her tie-in to the "stealing was a way of life" theme, and found myself frustrated with all the non-family-related details. Maybe it's just the tiredness of having a weeks-old baby around, but this just didn't hold our interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five-Finger Discount.

03/30/2012 page 28
10.0% "Progress will be slow since I'm reading this one with Doug. Came recommended by Kris Santilli who knows a great book when she reads one. So far it's given me a few chuckles."
04/11/2012 page 67
25.0% "Progress is very slow...the times when Doug and I are both awake and interested in reading this book are few and far between."
show 3 hidden updates…