Lalitha's Reviews > Two-Way Street

Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: teen
Read in March, 2012

I listened to this one on audio, and I wonder if I would've appreciated it better if I had just read it. I picked this one up because the storyline reminded me of writers like Colasanti and Mlynowski, both of whom write really well about teen relationships. At least, I think so.

I really enjoyed the dual perspectives and felt it worked especially well here. Barnholdt engages the readers, perfectly capturing the beginning/ending of Courtney and Jordan's relationship. Both characters are three-dimensional and flawed. Basically, they feel real. For me, I felt the character of Jordan worked a bit better--he deals with a very real dilemma, and readers definitely empathize with his struggle. Courtney felt a bit grating to me, but I can't tell if it was the audio that I couldn't get into. Cassandra Morris is a talented narrator, but I couldn't get over how young she sounded.

Things that didn't work for me (in no order):

-Storyline surrounding the secret Jordan is keeping - I felt it dragged out too long, and his reasons/actions surrounding his and Courtney's break-up felt contrived. In short, I never really bought it.

-Resolution of issues with parents - I felt that there needed to be a confrontation of some sorts.

-No resolution with Jordan and Adam. Yes, the brother was a very teeny, minor role in the book, but the way things were left between the two felt unfinished.

-Hated Lloyd - unnecessary character.

Still, I would recommend this book as a readalike for the above authors--I think it's a fun, summer read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two-Way Street.