E.L.'s Reviews > Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter

Mar 30, 12

This book had even more plot holes and weak explanations than the first - but Cammie and the other have developed more as characters, so I suppose that balances out. Having read a couple of summaries of the next two books, I would venture a guess that this one was only meant as "filler" - the first was to introduce us to Cammie and the situation, this one was the raise the stakes slightly, and the adventures really start in Book 3.

Carter is an excellent writer, but she is very weak on convincing endings. In the GG series as well as the Heist Society books, everything is so twisted and convoluted by the end that I always put the book down feeling completely confused. Which is great in the middle of the book, but by the end, the reader likes to say "ah-ha! THAT'S what was going on." This reader does, anyway. I've always hated mysteries/adventures that don't clear up at least the main points by the end, or that leave several plot points dangling, as though hoping the reader will have somehow missed them.

All in all, though, this is another light, fun read, and Cammie does draw a good balance between teenage girl and super-spy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy.