Diane's Reviews > The Conundrum: How Scientific Innovation, Increased Efficiency, and Good Intentions Can Make Our Energy and Climate Problems Worse

The Conundrum by David Owen

Apr 20, 12

Read from April 16 to 18, 2012

A very sobering, not to say depressing, book. I've had to remove my halo as a "concerned consumer" type of environmentalist and tuck it away. Turns out my sacred cows in that department had hooves of clay. Not that I won't still try to do my bit as best I can see how to do, but he makes it pretty clear that our global environmental challenges need a large, collective effort that relies a lot more on frugality than on increased efficiencies. Not to mention altering a certain delusional "developed world" mindset that suggests no sacrifices will be involved in solving global warming and related dilemmas. Humbling as it all is, I prefer to see the issues as clearly as possible and his argument makes a lot of sense. Apparently the more efficiently we use limited energy resources the more we use them altogether - and the faster their use spreads. If you've a mind to get serious about climate change, perhaps you should give this book a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conundrum.