Melissa 's Reviews > Breaking Beautiful

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2012, teen-general-fiction, teen-mystery, with-reviews
Read from March 30 to April 03, 2012

Summary:
Allie has no memory of the accident that killed her boyfriend Trip, but others in town don’t believe her. They believe she is hiding what she knows about Trip’s death to protect herself. Allie may not remember the accident that killed him, but she knows how incriminating it would be if she let anyone know about the abuse she suffered at Trip’s hand. She wants to discover what happened that night, but some secrets come with a price.

Review:
Every now and then a book comes along that holds your attention so dramatically that you loath putting the book down. Something about this book intrigued me. I can’t even tell you for sure why this book caught my eye. I think it was a publisher talking about the book during a webinar, but to be honest I can’t remember. There was something that made me want to read this book and I am so glad I did.

Breaking Beautiful is part mystery part drama. The main character, Allie, has no memory of the night her boyfriend Trip died. All she knows is somehow she survived, and now has to deal with the consequences of her own survival and the aftermath of their abusive relationship. Allie’s story is haunting, and the flashbacks keep the reader intrigued and wanting to know more. She has a good friend who wants the best for her and a wonderful brother who would do anything to make her happy. Unfortunately, though, there are those who believe that Allie is responsible for Trip’s death, and want to see her brought to justice.

The characters in this novel are well developed. I loved Allie’s twin brother Andrew and the relationship they share. Other characters are equally developed, even Allie’s parents whose actions are both good and bad. So many people care for Allie, but like so many victims of abuse, she has been isolated in her pain.

The mystery has just enough hook to keep you reading, but it doesn’t overwhelm the story and the struggles Allie faces. Wolf’s writing is superb and gripping. I honestly didn’t want to put this book down—I needed to finish to find out what really happened that night.

Overall:
I have said many times that I am not a realistic fiction fan, yet I am often surprised by the stories I find in the genre. This novel is fantastic, and one that I would highly recommend. A book you won’t want to put down.

Cautions for sensitive readers: Some violence.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Beautiful.