Karen's Reviews > Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort by Fern Michaels

Apr 02, 2012

it was ok
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2012

The jury is still out. I picked this up to listen to while driving since I had never read a Fern Michaels book. So far, 6 chapters in, I can't see what the huge appeal is. She repeats herself with descriptions, the characters are fairly standard (no one I would cry over), actions/events seem to be choppy giving the feeling that an over enthusiastic editor took out lines to save space. As for the reader, well, he's just trying too hard. A different voice for each character can be a good thing provided they're not too stereotyped or campy.

While it seems I have a lot of negative views I will continue to listen in the hope that the story smooths out. Hopefully I can come back with something positive.

Unfortunately my opinion of the book did not improve. The writing was unimpressive, the story line standard and formulaic, the characters shallow and EXTREMELY repetitive! If the author's other books are written in the same manner, I can guarantee that you won't find one in my personal library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southern Comfort.