Chimney's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult, books-read-in-2012
Read from May 11 to 17, 2012

Originally reviewed at Inconceivable Book Reviews

My Thoughts:

I finished Me and Earl and the Dying Girl a couple days ago and after mulling over my thoughts on this book I have come to the conclusion that I really liked it. You may be wondering, “well, isn’t that something you would know right off the bat?” And I would have to answer, “no.”

The reason for that is because I had to get used to the style of the book and it took me a rather long time to do that. The constant change between the regular prose writing to script writing, and other such things was something that I found hard to enjoy at first, however; came to appreciate later. It really helped show (to me) more of the type of person the main character, Greg, was.

I remember my high school years and how I was similar to Greg in the fact that I attempted to be the enemy of none though we did this in different ways. While he infiltrated; I was invisible. Seriously, it was like I was wearing an invisibility cloak or something! And Greg was more like a cuttlefish using it’s abilities to blend in order to fit into several different crowds, yet avoid being preyed upon. It was pretty awesome! However, I did find him to be kind of a jerk sometimes (he is also extremely hard on himself which can sometimes be rather depressing), which I guess is okay. He calls himself much nastier things throughout the book. I do admit some of the jokes and comparisons he made may make some people uncomfortable, but I had little trouble with. (I admit a did flinch and think, “Did he really say or think that?” every now and again.) I also didn’t really realize it until the end how much Greg had developed as a character. He still held some of his childishness, but he in the end had grown.

Now, if you are looking for a book about romance or a super-happy ending this book is probably not for you. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl has its funny moments, which is kind of weird all things considered, and the main character can be rather self-centered (and self-depreciating) at times. I did like the fact that he wasn’t a super-stud or somebody who was all like, “Oh, I am so ugly!” and than for whatever reason everybody is all like, “You are so handsome! OMG, I HEART YOU SO MUCH!” (Oh, perfect looking main characters I’m looking at you!) Which, in a way, I felt made the story seem more real.

So, in short, if you are looking for a book that, despite its depressing sounding synopsis, will make you smile with a twinge of sad; I would recommend giving the book a whirl and saying a loud hello to Greg, and Earl, and the Dying Girl!

P.S. – I think that I should throwout there that Mr. McCarthy was awesome! TRUE FACT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

05/11/2012 page 77