Charlene's Reviews > Crimson Groves

Crimson Groves by Ashley Robertson

May 20, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, books-i-own
Read from May 13 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

[Original review posted on my blog]

I received a finished copy from a Goodreads Giveaway hosted by Ashley Robertson. Thank you!

This vampire story started out strong and ended strong. The plot in between was slow moving, but got its point across. I quite enjoyed reading this book. Although it was not a fast, “cannot-put-down” type of read, the story and Robertson’s version of the vampire were intriguing [magic and enchantments and blood donors to name a few] and made me want to see what happens in the end.

I did have minor issue with the writing. I didn’t enjoy how the main character, narrating the story, has conversations with herself in her mind [e.g. when she keeps using the word "love"] and continually points out unnecessary descriptions of the setting. However, these were quickly and easily overlooked once the story got going and the characters developed a little more. The writing style made the character seem more real and human [irony intended]. She encounters love, fear, strength, and triumph all in one book.

I unfortunately did not enjoy the main character, Abby, in the beginning. But I’m glad she develops into a stronger, much more likeable character in the end. The vampires and humans she encounters throughout the novel are intriguing, like-able/hate-able [both are good], and all take part in the plot in a way I was not expecting. Loved the twists and did not see them coming once I reached the end of the book. The plot ends openly, so sequel or not, this book is worth reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crimson Groves.