Holden Attradies's Reviews > Essential Captain America, Vol. 1

Essential Captain America, Vol. 1 by Stan Lee

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: fiction, sequential-art, super-heroes
Read in March, 2012, read count: 1

I usually have a hard time getting through the first volume of the really early Marvel stuff, but Captain America read more like a volume 2. And the more I've submersed my self in Marvel comics the more I've come to appreciate Cap and this volume helped that appreciation grow just a bit more. He's Marvel's paragon, but unlike superman his power comes more from raw skill than superhuman strength and powers.

Sure it was a little ridiculous how he ALWAYS got out of trouble at the last minute in an a pretty unbelievable way, and his villains sure like to gloat and monolog instead of killing him way more than other Marvel villains. And boy was there a slight but steady stream of sexism and racist undertones, but knowing to expect it from the time it was easy to get past with the occasional groan. At least the girl he lusts after through the second half never puts up with his "your just a woman you can't fight next to me" shit and just goes ahead and fights anyway. And props for her not giving her career up for him.

The best part, for me at least, was seeing the early evolution and introduction of so many great Marvel villains: Red Skull, A.I.M, MODOCK. those last two especially were great seeing, as I've seen to be running into them a lot in recent weeks in my comic readings. It was also pretty cool seeing Nick Fury and SHIELDS early evolution.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essential Captain America, Vol. 1.