Amy Musser's Reviews > A Splendid Friend, Indeed

A Splendid Friend, Indeed by Suzanne Bloom

Mar 30, 12

This short book focuses on an unlikely friendship between a large polar bear and a very talkative goose. Bear just wants to think and write and Goose wants to do those things too! But Goose never stops talking, talking, talking. Bear is about to go crazy when Goose reads his note to Bear, “I like you. Indeed I do. You are my splendid friend.”

The text of this American Library Association Notable Children’s book is written completely in dialogue, mostly Goose, making this a fun story to read aloud. With the simple storyline and only two characters, this is a great story for toddlers and babies. It’s an especially nice book for bedtime, as it ends with lots of hugs.

The pastel illustrations create a wonderful sense of texture against the indigo background. The relationship between the characters is clearly defined in the illustrations. Even without the text you can see Goose attempting to mimic the increasingly exasperated Bear.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Splendid Friend, Indeed.