Cns's Reviews > The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte

The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte by Karl Marx

Sep 12, 08

Read in September, 2008

From Rossana Rossanda's (founder of Il Manifesto) memoir--"I don't know how I came to the conclusion that it was the Communists who were most sure of what they were doing--or who told me, 'But Bafi is a Communist.' I was so ignorant that I marched straight up to him, between classes...'Someone said you are a Communist.' 'What are you looking for?' I told him about the leaflets I'd seen, about being confused, not knowing. 'Read these books. Come back when you have done so.' I ran to the railway station and opened the slip of paper on the train: Harold Laski, "Liberty in the Modern State" and "Democracy in Crisis;" Karl Marx, "The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte" and "The Class Struggles in France 1848-1850." A book by De Ruggiero, I think, Lenin, "State and Revolution." 'By S., anything you can find."
Well, I might have left off The Eighteenth Brumaire unless you are REALLY interested in revolutionary France between Feb. 1848-Dec. 1851. But if you are REALLY interested in revolutionary France between Feb. 1848-Dec. 1851---and you're a Communist--this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte.