Meg ♥'s Reviews > Guilty Wives

Guilty Wives by James Patterson

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: e-books, z-2012-reads
Read from March 30 to April 18, 2012

This book made me laugh. Probably not in the way JP intended, either. I was laughing at how ridiculous the beginning of this book was...but then it got okay.

A group of four women decide to go on a little vacation to Monte Carlo. Each woman is married, some more happily then others, but not one of them seem to be fully satisfied with their lives. When they get off the plane they decide to lay poolside topless and quickly meet a few men. Then they leave with the men to get a room and have a huge orgy. LOL ...JP's obvious sexual fantasies aside I could have probably dealt with the orgy coming on so quickly if they had given some reason why these women all wanted to go out and turn into massive skanks the second they are away from their husbands, and also if I could ignore the fact that one of the girls was described as shy and quiet, but she's right there to jump into the orgy....It didn't make sense at all.

Anyways, it turns out that two men get killed that night, but all of our girls are, of course, too drunk to remember a thing...Then it gets worse when they find out who one of the guys were...He was undercover so they had no idea, but lets just say he's a very important person. (don't want to give anything away!) Basically then they are immediately taken to jail and labeled terrorists.

One night of craziness is costing them everything. They are treated horribly at the jail, and are humiliated when their families all come to see what has happened. Most of the rest of the story takes place explaining what happens to them in jail, and their court appearances.

As far as mysteries go this one fell flat. We are supposed to wonder who actually killed this man, and wonder if our wrongfully accused ladies will ever get out of jail, but honestly I didn't care at all. Sure there was a hint of curiosity, but for the most part I kept thinking "what goes around comes around", and felt no sympathy for these women at all. I almost did not finish this, but I'm glad I did. The ending was actually pretty good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Wives.

04/09/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick When they get off the plane they decide to lay poolside topless and quickly meet a few men. Then they leave with the men to get a room and have a huge orgy.

Sounds hot

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire It's been ages since I've read a Patterson book. He writes so many it's hard to keep up!

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki You probably couldn't pay me enough to read this, but I liked your review.

message 4: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie I'm with Melki...

Meg ♥ Melki wrote: "You probably couldn't pay me enough to read this, but I liked your review."

I was blindsided by most of what happened. I was just expecting a "girls night gone wrong" type of mystery, not a "40 year old girls gone wild video" type. lol

Meg ♥ Claire wrote: "It's been ages since I've read a Patterson book. He writes so many it's hard to keep up!"

Same here. I think The Christmas Wedding was the last, and that one was just okay too. Maybe he should write less and spend more time on the books, because I heard he can be really amazing (Alex Cross series), but I haven't read that yet.

Meg ♥ Nick wrote: "When they get off the plane they decide to lay poolside topless and quickly meet a few men. Then they leave with the men to get a room and have a huge orgy.

Sounds hot"

For you, it probably is. For me, it was laughable. :-)

☯Bettie☯ What Melki says!
:O)

message 9: by Chris (last edited Apr 18, 2012 01:59PM) (new)

Chris Sounds like a really bad book.

Great review.

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin I just joined a book club and this is their current selection. It's gotten horrible reviews though, and I'm having a hard time justifying wasting $15 and my time on a book I have no interest in reading. Sigh... Thanks for your review.

message 11: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Erin wrote: "I just joined a book club and this is their current selection. It's gotten horrible reviews though, and I'm having a hard time justifying wasting $15 and my time on a book I have no interest in rea..."

lol I feel bad for your book club. Obviously they picked this because he's a book club favorite, but this one was a total bust, and honestly I got it from the library...I would be a bit annoyed had I paid for it.

Colette I totally disagree - I enjoyed the action and the deceit and framing of the women. Not knowing the background of these women, but their lives and husbands weren't perfect - My picks for his least likeable novels was the Miracle on the 17th green (obviously a golf story) and the Christmas wedding was kind of dorky in my mind! Prefer Cross and Bennett & the Ladies detective club series. Check those out before you totally disregard Patterson's talent!

Chantal Yes, the beginning was kinda of awful.

Elena I think the ending would have been pretty good had the author not pretty much spelled it all out at the very beginning. While the women were being slutty in Monte Carlo, were the husbands not spying on them and commenting along the lines of "the b*tches will get what they deserve" ?! So from that moment on, I assumed it was the husbands... and it was! So I was a little disappointed by the lack of mystery > why did the author foreshadow it so strongly?!

Alwaysreading I agree the beginning was horrible but I kept reading, probably because the chapters are short. I'm now on Chapter 86 and I can't stop!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Davey You ruined the ending for me I wasn't finished reading it.

message 17: by Larry (new)

Larry Bassett I think that this book should be in every stocking on Christmas morning. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Rachel Heather as the other lady said we pretty much knew who in part but not which of them...or more than one? I'm not done either I'm 62% in...chapter 90 something but I'm still dying to see how it plays out and it they get out.
I don't think Patterson exactly played out his fantasies as they don't show more than them going in n closing the door in a group. As to the shy one...they were drunker than most of us will ever get in our lives. That can alter both your shyness and your proclivities I'd say. Had they acted as nuns even half way that night never would've happened!
I have felt Patterson was a sell out for a few yrs and he's certainly not Shakespeare (although he's quite a bit wealthier than Shakespeare ever was in his lifetime I imagine) but he's written some good mysteries in his time. Once he started having co authors (and just writing outlines as I've read if that's true while the co author actually pens the book from this outline ) I lost interest and stopped reading him for a while. As my mom and I are both added to my dads nook acct after having been gifted our books from him and she's continued to purchase his books I figured it's been so long I'd give one a try. I have to say I'm enjoying it more than I ever expected to and started it less than 24 hrs ago. At this rate I'll b done by the time breakfast is ready here. To me best book of my life or not that's a decent read. They can't all be the most meaningful of our reading lives but some are just entertainment and that's ok by me!

message 19: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Thought this was a new release ?? As that is what I searched for & now I see a 2yr old comment? Am I missing something:) can anyone recommend a real good interesting read with an interesting twist plz.... M :)

Elena Margaret wrote: "Thought this was a new release ?? As that is what I searched for & now I see a 2yr old comment? Am I missing something:) can anyone recommend a real good interesting read with an interesting twist ..."

Well it's from 2012.... that's relatively new, but not really a "new release"