Paul's Reviews > True North

True North by Jim Harrison

Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 30 to April 06, 2012

Another fantastic, meditative book from probably my favorite living writer. The novel begins with a crazy italicized intro, then launches into the story of a young boy's quest to make sense of his crazy family. The first hundred-fifty pages or so are the best, until David, the protagonist, goes off on his own and we get the typical meandering, near-plotless Harrison stuff, aside from David's "project," a purported manuscript about evils of his father/grandfather/etc. It's all great, though David loses his particularity (a God-fearing religious studies student who also fears sex and drinking) and becomes the typical Harrison male protagonist, sleeping with multiple women and appreciating an expensive glass of red. Anyway, things pick up again once David goes to face his family, and things end where they started, with a quick explosion of violence and some comtemplative final words. It's hardly a perfect book (Harrison has a weird naive quality to him; he's a fantastic writer, but typos kind of abound, and he constantly confuses the "me"/"I" issue), but it's a great one. Blah blah.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True North.