Alicia's Reviews > Royal Street

Royal Street by Suzanne  Johnson

Mar 30, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, witches-wizards-warlocks, series-quit, own-kindle-netgalley, own-to-read, z-xx
Read from April 02 to 24, 2012

Overall, not for me.

Drusilla is a Green Congress wizard living in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hits. She leaves the city before the hurricane hits, but her mentor Gerry sticks around. At first, the two remain in touch, and Gerry appears to be fine. But then Gerry disappears. The wizard Elders demand that Drusilla return to New Orleans, locate Gerry, and address the crack in the divide between the Beyond and the real world. To help her, they send Alex, an enforcer whom Drusilla finds to be very sexy.

What I loved about the book was seeing the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina through Drusilla's eyes. It's clear to me that the author did a lot of research on this topic, and it showed. After having read this book, I actually feel a bit more educated about the hurricane. So kudos to the author for that.

I also loved the idea of "historical undead." These are undead people who remain alive in the Beyond (and sometimes manage to sneak their way into the real world) because their memories are still alive in the real world. The historical undead who made appearances included the pirate Jean Lafitte, musician Louis Armstrong, and voodoo practitioner Marie Laveau. It was cool to see these people brought to life with personalities and weaved into the story.

Unfortunately, there was little else that I found to be special about this book. Drusilla was your usual, feisty heroine. She didn't completely understand her powers. And although her powers were cool enough, I was annoyed that Drusilla figured them out later than I did. Actually, Drusilla figured out everything later than I did, and there were times when I wanted to shout at her through the pages of the book.

I also did not like the love triangle. There was Alex, and there was his cousin Jake. Drusilla was attracted to both of them, but her feeling toward both men came across as being superficial. She was immediately attracted to both despite not having any deep connection with either. In contrast, I got the impression that both men had real, growing feeling for her, and I found her attitude toward them to be fickle and selfish.

I understand this is the first book in a series. I don't plan to read the later books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.

04/02/2012
3.0% "The jury's still out."
04/10/2012
20.0% "I'm happy to say that this book is no longer reminding me of Dead Witch Walking. I'm also happy that the author has linked the opening semi-action scene to the continued story. I was annoyed that it was just a random scene thrown in to hook me. I appreciate the setting of Hurricane Katrina. But other than that, I'm not seeing a lot of originality. At this point, I'd guess the hurricane is what hooked the publisher."
04/16/2012
38.0% "Meh"
04/22/2012
48.0% "This book has actually gotten quite a bit better, but I haven't had much time to read lately."
11/05/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer I have this one as well to read. What do you think of it?

message 2: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Have you read Dead Witch Walking? I'm finding a lot in common between the two so far--and I don't mean that as a compliment. It's not bad; it's interesting. And I'm really fascinated by the fact that Hurricane Katrina is playing a significant role so far. BUT there's a disconnect between me and the main character, same as I felt in DWW. And the author keeps throwing out magical terms and ideas in passing, as if saying, "Look, look at all my magical magic!" So in short . . . I just don't know yet. The jury is still out.

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Crap I really didn't like that book at all. This is not looking so good.

Experiment BL626 I was pondering about this series but I have not heard good things about it from my friends and acquaintances. I look forward to your opinion at the end of the book.

Kenya Wright this book sucks big hairy balls!

message 6: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia It's definitely not great. The stars I gave it were for the world-building.