Leah Hortin's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

May 04, 12

bookshelves: kindle, chick-lit
Read in May, 2012

Ok, what I didn't like: her "inner goddess", using "my sex" as a noun for her lady bits, using there as a noun for her lady bits (this was fine in the beginning when she was a naive virgin but come on now), overuse of "scalp prickles" and "beguiles", excessive and unnessecary gasps.

What I did like: Um, it's hot, sexy, erotic, dark, thrilling. Christian Grey's character is entirely enthralling and I want to know more. I actually get Ana's character and see how she could fall under his spell and actually give the Dom/Sub thing a chance and how utterly confused she was about her feelings. I appreciated the literary and musical contexts.

Other thoughts: I'm surprised by the hype - I guess I never assumed that something that is borderline erotica would make it this big. I'm definitely curious about the author and her experience with S&M. I wonder how they would ever successfully pull this off into a movie that wasn't rated X.
1 like · likeflag