Greg F's Reviews > Life, the Universe and Everything

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

M_50x66
Apr 02, 12

Douglas Adams’ Life, The Universe, And Everything is yet another hilarious installment in the Hitchhiker’s Guide series. Having read the first and second books and loving them, I have continued onwards. For those who are not familiar to the series, the book reads very much like a written sitcom. It is also very ‘British’ in nature, with clever, cheeky jokes spread throughout and a tendency to set up a joke long before it is told, which I enjoy very much. The plot on this adventure is subpar. It mainly revolves around the main character, Arthur, and company attempting to prevent the destruction of the universe from yet another alien race. Adams’ continues using his signature witty humor. One of my favorite excerpts is a certain passage, from the Guide, flaunting Adams’ style of comedy stating, “The Encyclopedia Galactica has much to say on the theory and practice of time travel, most of which is incomprehensible to anyone who hasn’t spent at least four lifetimes studying advanced hypermathematics, and since it was impossible to do so before time travel was invented, there is a certain amount of confusion as to how the idea was arrived at in the first place.” From an objective standpoint, the novel was mediocre. The plot was weak, and many would say a complete lack of one would be more pleasing, there was little to no character development, and the narrator tends to go on tangents of nothing but rambles for pages at a time. However, from a subjective, personal point of view, the book was amazing. I found it engaging, humorous, and overall wonderful. I would recommend this book to those who already avid fans of the series, and for those who haven’t taken a liking to it, pick it up and give it a try. Who doesn’t need a good laugh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, the Universe and Everything.