Meghan's Reviews > A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life

6120127
Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: engl-492-required-reading
Read from March 30 to April 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** "This is just so unfair."
Rivka laughs.
"What's so funny?"
"Oh, I don't know. Nothing, really. It's just that I used to get hung up on thinking about fairness and why and why me and why now. And it just doesn't get you anywhere. It's like those questions you used to pester your parents with. Why? Why? Why? Finally they get fed up and say, 'Just because.' And that's the only real answer here. Just because."

I fell in love with this book. Although I have never experienced adoption, I could feel Simone's emotions and complications with the life she was dealt. Dana Reinhardt did such a great job writing with an authentic teen voice. Although, like most teenagers, Simone thinks she has everything figured out, you soon realize that she is constantly struggling with her beliefs. Simone's conflicting decision about whether she wanted to meet Rivka or not is such a real emotion that people feel and I could feel it as a reader.

The ending was heartbreaking, but I still felt satisfied knowing that Simone and Rivka created such a unique bond before her passing. This book captured a very brief moment in Simone's life where she begins to mature and view life in a completely different way. She is experiencing new love, new friendships, and a heartbreaking loss at the same time, which many teenagers can relate to.

I would love to incorporate this book in to my future classroom. Although the heavy religious presence makes me a little hesitant to teach it, I would love to put it on a recommended reading list. This book discusses so much more than religion and I think most teenagers would benefit from reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life.

03/30/2012 page 147

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Makenzie Smith this is a truly beautiful book. I am not adopted but I feel like the author captured the feelings and questions I would have.