Hiroto's Reviews > Killing God

Killing God by Kevin Brooks

U_50x66
May 19, 12

Killing God, by Kevin Brooks is about a fifteen-year-old girl called Dawn Bundy. She lives with her mother in an ordinary house in a town in England. Dawn tends to not care of she is attractive or not, and mainly stays alone in her room with her two dogs Mary and Jesus. These consequences happened because her dad left by loving too much drugs, alcohol and mostly God. Now she hates God.

The reason why I picked up this book from the library was because the author was Kevin Brooks. Having to read his book iBoy, I really enjoyed the way he wrote his books and the way he described his characters. This is a example of how he uses his specific technique of writing. “Your life. (And the way you are) Your ghost. (Sends the shivers to my hand) And then something moves. And just for a moment you think (You’re going to fall you’re going to fall down dead)” (page 196) As you can see his sentences include pauses which creates tension and makes the reader keep on reading and wanting to know what would happen. My most favourite scene was when Dawn killed her father and was waiting for a person, while wishing the policemen would not come to the front door. “Everything stops (Forever) when I see the two policemen standing on the doorstep in front of me. Time stops, the world stops… nothing moves, nothing makes a sound. The moment is frozen.” (Page 228) The reason why I liked this was because I found Kevin Brooks description for this shocking moment being well made and imaginable. If I were in this situation, I would possibly be frozen. Time would be frozen.

As I read two books by Kevin Brooks, I really liked the fact that he writes sentences with tension, and makes this book really exciting. The first time I saw the title of the book, I thought it would be a anti religious book. However, as I read on, I realized it meant that she was annoyed because her father was dying because of him getting addicted to drugs, Drinking and God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing God.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr. Star (new)

Mr. Star This sounds like an interesting story. So is the story mostly about Dawn and her life? A few more details would have helped. I really liked how you explained why you chose this book and how you connected your favorite scenes with what you like about the author. Reflecting on the books you read and thinking about the things you like and dislike about an author is important when choosing books.