Deborah Edwards's Reviews > In the Cut

In the Cut by Susanna Moore

Aug 16, 08

Recommended for: Maureen

A book as gorgeously crafted as it is tremendously disturbing. This teacher with a dark side tells us right from the start that she is doing something she knows she should not do and that her story will deal with irony and realism. Knowing that, we let her lead us into a brutal but tempting world of ironic twists and realistic hard edges that surround every new encounter or ominous remark, and every strangely erotic act or brush with kink. And through it all she expounds so brilliantly on literature and the written word that the life she leads becomes tied to the page in a way that makes her actions indistinguishable from the way they are described. The narrator becomes her own protagonist. I won't give away the ending but I will say that it utilizes one of the most effective literary devices I have ever encountered. The book haunted me long after I had read it, and as disturbing as it is, I have reread it several times since. Susanna Moore's voice is unlike that of any other woman writing today. There seems to be no dark corner she is afraid to explore, and often, illuminate.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Cut.