Stacy's Reviews > Burnt Mountain

Mar 30, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: families-friends-generations, supernatural
Read on March 29, 2012

Decidedly odd. And completely unedited for accuracy. The timeline inconsistency was troubling but as a bit of a Potter geek, I was most irritated by the fact they had seen all of the movies but managed to pick the one they wanted at the theater...and that they actually believed the floating brains scene made into a movie. I mean, it's one thing to confuse Olympics and cell phones but as an author you should at least respect other books.

I was okay with the beginning. I liked Caroline and disliked Crystal, just as I was meant to. I even liked Nick. Things started to go badly at the secret abortion (that probably included a coat hanger and a kitchen table) and by the time she fell for a teacher in a single day (after being a quarter short in her a major. Seriously. A quarter. Because colleges are filled with classes that involved quarters of credits. Oh, that's right...they aren't.) I was wondering what had happened to the strong beginning. Then she got married, moved to Eerie, Indiana (or Haven, for those of you not old enough to remember that show), and the weirdness started flowing. The camp and the story telling and the architect and the entire last third of the book were just so outlandish I don't see how they even connect to the beginning.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burnt Mountain.