Robin Filipczak's Reviews > Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality

Sex at Dawn by Christopher  Ryan

Mar 30, 2012

bookshelves: sexuality, science, social-science
Read from March 30 to May 04, 2012

If homo sapiens are biologically wired for monogamy, why are we so bad at it? Authors Ryan and Jethá explore this question with intelligence, rigor, and wit. Through a critical review of social science research over the past 150 years, they argue our standard cultural narrative about pair bonding, sexual response, and female empowerment has at times clouded rigorous scientific inquiry and often contradicts prehistoric biological evidence. This book is eminently readable, and especially poignant when the authors connect the dots between our attachment to sexually normative theories and the injustices done to continue to propagate these ideas (i.e. clitoridectomies, witch trials, and slut-shaming).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex at Dawn.

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Looks super interesting, you'll have to let me know what you think after reading it.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben I'm going to read this. Might be worth looking at Jared Diamond's "The Third Chimpanzee." Deals with the same topic (a couple of chapters), but is older.

Robin Filipczak Miri - Have a read and will do a one on one book club next time I see you. Ben, they mention Diamond a lot throughout the book. I'll check it out.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Will do!