Caroline's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 05, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, young-adult, nook, dystopia, read-in-2012
Read from April 03 to 05, 2012

This was a blend of genres I just couldn't resist--a post-apocalyptic, urban fantasy dystopia where the vampires have taken over and farm humans for blood like cattle. Society in cities have formed around this, with Registered humans dutifully giving their blood to their vampire overlords, since outside of the city there are crazed mutated "Rabids," which are basically vampires with nothing in their heads except feeding (think: zombies). Allie starts the story off as an Unregistered, scrounging up what little she can to survive, so the readers get a good look at what it's like in the slums of the city. This doesn't last long, as pretty quickly in the story she's faced with the choice of dying or becoming a vampire herself.

Allie made for a great protagonist to follow around. I was happy that for once we're given a non-caucasion heroine, which in general is rare (and it seems to be ridiculously rare in the young adult paranormal market these days). Plus, she's got strength and will, and isn't the typical wilting flower that books like Twilight have re-popularized. I loved watching her take charge of things, and stick by her strong convictions.

I was slightly concerned this might turn into a Stockholm Syndrome romance when she is first taken in by Kanin, but all worries were quickly allayed. Allie's motivations in here are largely her desire to remain human, and her struggle to do so is way more of a plot focus than any romance. There's some romance in here, unsurprisingly, but it's not a plot-consuming romance.

So, kickass heroine and vampires that aren't sparkly or glorified in any way? Definitely recommended.

Copy received via Netgalley.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/03/2012 page 1
0.0% "Vampires taking over in a dystopian future and keep humans as if they were cattle? Don't think I could have said no."
show 1 hidden update…