Kari Anderson's Reviews > Beauty Queens

May 06, 12

bookshelves: audio-book
Read from March 30 to April 06, 2012

From Goodreads.com
The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What’s a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program – or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan – or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?
Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.

I have been fawning over this cover forever. We all know I am a cover girl and how can a book be bad when the cover has a lipstick sash representing bullets?

I picked this audio book up at the library a while back and am so glad I chose this format. While I think I would have liked it in a paper format, I loved it in the audio format. It was so creative. There were scenes between chapters that were played out like commercials (I got tired of them after a while and found myself skipping through them, but it was a very cool idea). I also liked that between the chapters there were little Fact Sheets that each contestant filled out so we could learn a little more about them. And I always like the idea of footnotes, but lately have not been so into reading them. It’s been hard with books on my Nook, and I’m not sure how these are laid out in the regular book, but in the audio book, I loved them. When it was time for a footnote, you heard a ding, followed by the note. At first I was really confused, but then after a few chapters, hearing the ding excited me. It worked very well!

I think this is a GREAT book for teenagers. It covers every contrversial topic that teens face right now, from sexism, racism and homosexuality to being popular and just being yourself. Although I’m a few years removed from the teen dreamers, I felt like in one way, shape or form, I could relate with their issues. Obviously not the being on the island and fighting for survival, but the underlying issues that brought them all to the pageant in the first place.

This book will have you laughing (lots), crying (a little), and hoping more than anything that these girls who are all different walks of life can come together and battle through and survive this tragic crash.

I give Beauty Queens 5 bookmarks.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

03/30/2012
8.0% "On the first disk of the audio book. Loving it so far. Teen beauty queens crashed on an island? Yes please!"
04/01/2012
40.0% "Still loving this book. It is so creatively put together to bring it to life in audio form. Impressed by the delivery."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha This sounds like a good one. I especially like the "pirates" part :) I'll look forward to your review.

Kari Anderson Martha is was VERY cute! And the audio book was phenomenal! It's one that I definitely recommend listening to. Very creatively put together.