Vicki's Reviews > The Drops of God 1

The Drops of God 1 by Tadashi Agi

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: comics-and-manga, own
Read in March, 2012

I got volume 1 of this purely out of curiosity having already enjoyed reading food manga such as Oishinbo, and I also enjoy drinking wine (although I'm no expert on it). I was expecting to read volume 1, like it but probably not be particularly into the rest of the series. This is mainly because Drops of God is a very long-running series, and I felt like it would be practically impossible to follow it in its entirety.

Anyway, I was surprised by how much I liked this! Its a mixture of wine talk and high drama, and to be honest the wine talk is pretty melodramatic, so even if you have no idea what the wines they're talking about actually are, its pretty entertaining to read their descriptions of them.

I think at the end of the day you'd probably enjoy this series with another level of depth if you were a full-on wine fanatic, and could remember tasting the wines that are mentioned here, but that knowledge is in no way essential to enjoy the series.

The comic is also well-drawn and paced - easy to read, and the dramatic moments are conveyed with impeccable timing. The crispy, clean, black-and-white feel to the linework reflects the bow-tie-and-starched-shirt luxurious world of the subject matter well.

It seems that Vertical are planning on releasing the first arc of Drops of God (6 vols in Japan) as 3 large volumes in English, see where that takes them, and consider publishing more depending on how it performs. In that case I'm looking forward to buying and reading the next 2 volumes! :) Its nice to see that the publisher has put thought into what would make a good first chunk of this long-running series for prospective buyers to try out.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drops of God 1.