Chrissie's Reviews > Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West

Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden

Apr 11, 13

bookshelves: bio, korea, bbc, kindle, sample-ok, history, to-read, alt

From BBC Radio 4:
Twenty six years ago, Shin Dong Hyuk was born inside Camp 14, one of five sprawling political prisons in the mountains of North Korea. Camp 14 is a 'complete control district' where the only sentence is life.

Thank you, Laura, for recommending this to me!!! This was so fabulous that I sat and listened to the first four episodes in one sitting. The fifth episode will be available today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from Camp 14.

Asma Fedosia Thank you for recommending "Escape from Camp 14", Chrissie. I opened a tab to listen to the episodes.

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Now they are all available. I do not like abridged books, but I use BBC to help me find books to read in the unabridged form. This seems to be worth reading.

Asma Fedosia Good idea! I also look for reading books by browsing the audio books' offerings.

Asma Fedosia Hi, Chrissie, I listened to some of the episodes; the topic is amazing; to think that this happens in the twenty-first century. It has led me to inquire about English translations of Korean literature. Thks.

message 5: by Chrissie (last edited Apr 03, 2012 08:08PM) (new) - added it

Chrissie :0) I have purchased but it hasn't arrived yet Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea. It is highly acclaimed and the author now has come out with a similar book on Sarajevo. You buy one book and you have to buy more......

Diane D. Chrissie, this book was at the LA Times Festival of Books that I attended over the weekend. I almost bought it but refrained as I have it on order at the library. But I glanced through it, and am anxious to read it. Gripping right from the opening sentence!

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Diane, if you have a library that can get it for you, why not use it?!

Diane D. I am, that's why I didn't buy it. I should have it in about a week or 2.

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I am thinking about buying it..... I get 10% at Book Depository this month and next. My problem is that what I want to read is bigger than the time I have available. But why not take advantage of the 10%?

Diane D. Well, Chrissie that is exactly my problem! Ordered from library but .... I love to buy books! Same time problems too. So many books, so little time!

message 11: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I have been strong today. I bought nothing so far.

Diane S ⛄ I'm reading this book right now.

message 13: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy If you two are on a North Korea tear, have you tried Jia? It's from a woman's perspective.
Diane, how was the festival? I didn't go this year.

Diane D. Diane wrote: "I'm reading this book right now."

Diane, please let us know what you think!

message 15: by Diane D. (last edited Apr 25, 2012 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane D. Daisy wrote: "If you two are on a North Korea tear, have you tried Jia? It's from a woman's perspective.
Diane, how was the festival? I didn't go this year."

Daisy, I had a great time at the Festival. Weather was perfect (especially on Sunday) and I sat in on 3 wonderful panels and met up with some authors (one of which was Anne Rice) that I was thrilled were there. You may know Larry Mantle and Patt Morisson from KPCC? Met them both and got their autographs on a book that was put out called "This Is Air Talk".

Off to check out Jia! North Korea reading is a new genre for me; Chrissie's recommendation here would be my first.

message 16: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Diane, I am curious to know what you think. I have already listened to the abridged version of it on BBC, so I do know I am interested.

Daisy, I had checked out your review. It is tempting to me since the novel is based on a true story. I just do not want to go overboard on Korea.

I hope all of you have read Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea. It is excellent.

Diane D, I envy you! That sounds terribly fun to have met these authors. How nice you could go there. Fun that you got autographs. And then nice weather to top it all off. You are turning me green with jealousy.

I probably will break down and get this book. The sale continues through May. I am filling up a basket there.

message 17: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea

I did read that earlier this year. And it was absolutely illuminating. And well-written.

message 18: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Daisy, I am in total agreement.

In your opinion, should one read "Jia" having read that first? I mean one has only so much time and there are so many books to read. Please give me you opinion.

Diane D. Chrissie it's excellent. Thank you for recommending it to me. I suppose I should thank Laura for recommending to you!

message 20: by Chrissie (last edited May 09, 2012 06:18AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie YUP, Laura told me about its reading on BBC. I guess I should buy it, but I cannot read as fast as I buy. I have over 100 books that I have already bought and still not read. And they are promising books.

I really liked The Mapmaker's Wife: A True Tale of Love, Murder, and Survival in the Amazon. Now I will start The Last Light Breaking: Living Among Alaska's Inupiat. This has such a pretty cover.....