Cynthia's Reviews > The Rivers of Zadaa

The Rivers of Zadaa by D.J. MacHale

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction-horror, books-i-read-for-andy
Read from March 29 to April 05, 2012

This was a huge improvement from Black Water (Pendragon #5).

That being said, I feel like the entirety of the book was like a 90s training montage with cheesy inspirational music as the soundtrack. Perhaps, I'm just growing tired of the series, maybe my taste for this genre is nearing a lapse and I need to step away. Since, now it's not really enjoyable as it should be and I find myself rolling my eyes more and more.

Honestly, couldn't MacHale just kill Mark, I'm tired of the sequence on second Earth being about Mark Dimond, the guy just isn't interesting and he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Isn't he supposed to be a smart guy? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I will say I freaked when (view spoiler) and then (view spoiler) and I had to roll my eyes again. Of course when it seems Bobby's world really is coming to the nitty and gritty he all of a sudden (view spoiler) to fill in the gaps in MacHale's story.

In saying that, I really do think it's time for me to take some time away from the series. Hopefully, I won't be so jaded when I come back to it. I do really want to know what's in store for Spader and Gunny back on Eelong and if they're gonna come back to help Bobby or if they'll just show up after the whole thing is over.... I'll admit it, I'm just a huge fan of Spader, that guy is just the life of the party and he needs to come back and breathe some life back into the series, he was the one character I found to be a feasible portrait of a well-rounded character.

Overall, I'll say if you made it past the junk that was Black Water, then The Rivers of Zadaa is a reward. Perhaps playing the Rocky soundtrack in the background will make the reading even more enjoyable, probably more fast-paced too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rivers of Zadaa.

03/30/2012 page 110