Zoe's Reviews > The Gentleman's Hour

The Gentleman's Hour by Don Winslow

May 15, 2012

Read from April 17 to May 15, 2012

I'm not sure if I liked this *quite* as much as Dawn Patrol, but I was absolutely giddy when I found this at the library & recognized those same old characters.
I love Don Winslow's writing style; it manages to be both classic to the genre and original at the same time. I've never been surfing before, but I love his descriptions of the California surfing scene/philosophy. He makes me crave the ocean and I am looking forward to learning to surf myself someday.
The characters are realistic and lovable. I wish I had a group of friends like the dawn patrol. It's the connection I felt to the characters and the addictiveness of Winslow's writing style that really kept me reading this book. One thing I really enjoyed over his other novels is that it really kept to the main protagonists in the story. In some of his other novels, there were a lot of chapters that focused on the "bad guys" and I remember feeling bored at those parts and eager to get back to what the heroes of the story were up to. The Gentleman's Hour still provided some interesting glimpses into the criminal mind, though.
I hope Winslow continues with this series following this particular group of surfers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentleman's Hour.