Vallsykes's Reviews > Knight

Knight by Kristen Ashley

Okay, four things I will discuss: the word fuck; the word daddy; choice; and conflict.
I will start with-conflict.
To my mind, Knight was a badass not because he did anything overtly, like chase other bad guys or challenge other mobsters, etc. His badass-ness was displayed mostly in taboo or unsavory deeds and characteristics. The way he built his little empire could call morals into question. His code for revenge could also. More, his idea for control-in the bedroom and over his woman, period (owning her)-seems, well, sort of BDSM, but more like “daddy” issues, maybe some mommy issues as well LOL.
However, everything seemed to have come too coolly, and rectified too easily for Knight. I expected conflict in the form of his brother or his ex-partner. I expected conflict from what I thought was a foreshadowing in the dreams. I didn’t get it. So, mulling it over, I will say I was a little disappointed. This is of course half overshadowed or compensated by the metaphor of “Knight”, which I thought was a poignant addition to his characterization.
Choice
Anya was dealt a lot of choices and in the end I felt she always came back to what made her feel “safe, spoiled and adored”. Yeah so if she were a real person, I wouldn’t blame her.LOL. But all that comes with a price in my mind. Knight mentions to Anya how she “buries her head” in the face of the “unclean” his world has to offer. Then he tells her “heads up” when she needs to negotiate what she is willing to tolerate, meaning...if she can’t, then “bye, bye”. Her best friend, Viv, tells her to “hold on and ride it through” (something Viv does herself and it is mentioned that she is from the hood , so she understands the unclean world; therefore is alright with it? (Hum, IDK if I liked that). BUT, this aspect of the story represents a very realistic choice women have to make, sometimes. Can you ignore the asshole-ism, the fact that your man is not legit by society standards, and the vicinity of violence to your life for a nice crib, money,and being spoiled and adored by your lover?
The word “Daddy”
(This had me throatily laughing and then rolling my eyes the rest of the book) I understand the use of Daddy in the bedroom. It’s naughty and has connotations that could be shocking or sick. Still, it works…just like “Papi” works! LMAO For Knight and Anya, it was their thing; though, I would think if a child came into the picture, the word “daddy” would have to be used with caution.
The word “Fuck”
Bottom line, Knight used it in the place of too many parts of speech and it belied his supposed suaveness and Bach appreciation. LOL. Sometimes, there were so many fucks in one sentence that I had to decode; this, added to the sentence construction that is normally a point of grammatical deviation, made some exposition rougher than normal.
So after the analysis,
I will say I liked Viv(my kind of girl, though she shouldn’t have limited herself to “her own kind”, IDK what that was).
I liked the story’s heroine, Anya (though a little too submissive IMO, but she had ambition and was down to earth).
AND, I liked Knight, for his chivalry and his devotion to women in his life. He doesn’t surpass TATE or HAWK, but he gets a helluva mention.
So I guess I just Liked...LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knight.

04/08/2012 "Okay, Easter Sunday, it's quiet, I've called my mom and sis to wish Happy Easter, it's overcast and I've done my prayers. Now, I will enjoy my lemon zinger mint tea and KNIGHT."
04/08/2012
30.0% "Luv Anya's friend Viv for coaching her to "hold on and ride it through" even when shit gets racy! And, I not even going to berate myself for feeling way too warm b/c Knight LIKES control...as in likes it. LOL Whew!"
04/08/2012
30.0% "Just 4 kicks I previously wrote on a thread: MENAGE, starring TATE and TY... Who'd be more dominant? Which one could be dirtily referred to as "Daddy"? Will contrast of skin tones be enough to go straight to Yowza? Or the contrast between beard and smooth? Oh and being under the strong, silent one while the rough-amazing voice of the other orders...hmm Little did I know about Knight! No menage. But! I called it.LMAO"
04/08/2012
60.0% "This is the first time I have updated so much! Lovin the best friend Vivica for her advice. I want Viv to find hers. Hopefully she is the next book, she'll get her chance to be a "bad girl"!" 1 comment
04/08/2012
84.0% "When knight explained the reason for his name, no lie, my eyes burned, and it is tough to me close to tears. I have to take a longer break now and process, the love expressed in this book overshadows erotica and Knight has come close rank to Tate in my estimation of fave all time KA heroes. There has been no direct antagonist/conflict so far, just emotional hurdles. IDK, how I feel about that." 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I really need to stop reading reviews so I can make up my own mind about this book, but I really wanted to know your thoughts. You make some great points! Wonderful review, Valls!

Vallsykes Kristen wrote: "I really need to stop reading reviews so I can make up my own mind about this book, but I really wanted to know your thoughts. You make some great points! Wonderful review, Valls!"
Kristen, I can't wait to read what you think of it when you read it. It's a curse, LOL, reading other reviews before you've read it yourself, but it is so tempting. I read like umpteen reviews already. Anywhoo, I am right in the middle on this one. I will say I like KA's bravery to get a little erotic. It will be interesting to see how she proceeds with this strand.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great and thoughtful review, Vallsykes! The Daddy thing did not work for me either. Further, I don't think that a relationship with a (view spoiler)would work for me in RL. I love to read about all those super alpha men but honestly, when it comes to RL I stick to my boyfriend! LOL

Vallsykes Baba wrote: "Great and thoughtful review, Vallsykes! The Daddy thing did not work for me either. Further, I don't think that a relationship with a [spoilers removed]would work for me in RL. I love to read about..."
Oh, Baba, yeah I do concur, in RL, that kind of relationship is not my stilo! BTW, Thx 4 Friend invite! MuaH

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Vallsykes wrote: "Baba wrote: "Great and thoughtful review, Vallsykes! The Daddy thing did not work for me either. Further, I don't think that a relationship with a [spoilers removed]would work for me in RL. I love ..."

LOL You're welcome.

Jill You brought up some great points, Vallsykes! And I agree that his badass-ness was mostly taboo. I guess I just wanted bad, very bad. And to see how KA could turn him into a hero. She's done it before, but just not this time imo.

message 7: by Vallsykes (last edited Aug 28, 2012 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vallsykes Jill wrote: "You brought up some great points, Vallsykes! And I agree that his badass-ness was mostly taboo. I guess I just wanted bad, very bad. And to see how KA could turn him into a hero. She's done it befo..."
Yeah, I hear ya. I am just intrigued by the variety of ratings and response this one is getting. Makes for good convo. I do hope you get to read your very bad hero and like it(I wouldn't mind it too). LOL

Auntee Well thought out review, and you bring up some great points! I'm also not fond of the "Daddy" thing, but I loved the book so much I could overlook that.:)

Vallsykes Auntee wrote: "Well thought out review, and you bring up some great points! I'm also not fond of the "Daddy" thing, but I loved the book so much I could overlook that.:)"

:D Thanks, Auntee. The Daddy thing can definitely be overlooked. I think my only issue with Knight and the next two books in the series is the building of legitimate conflict. Otherwise, I have to say, Knight is the best book of the three to me. I appreciate it more now than when I wrote this review.
Happy Reading.