jess's Reviews > Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces

Easy Growing by Gayla Trail

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012, growing
Read in March, 2012

I really like this book because it combines two things that I think are really useful for people interested in small-space gardening. First of all, it has excellent "beginner" gardening information, so if you have never grown anything before, you can pick this up and green your thumb almost instantly. Secondly, this book is focused mainly on herbs, which I think is such an overlooked part of small-space gardening. Fresh herbs are outrageously expensive at the grocery store, and they take up very little space in the garden. Many of them are quite hardy, both of climate and neglect, and will often come back year after year with little help from the gardener. So, if someone was like "I only have a patio/balcony/fire escape and I want to learn to garden and get the most return on my investment" this would be a great book to hand them. This will go on the short list of books I recommend to city friends who ask about learning to garden.

As a more experienced gardener, I also got a lot out of this book. Gayla has a gift for plant lists, and she breaks them up into such useful groups. Plants that will tolerate damp spots, shady spots, boiling hot spots - they're listed. There are lists detailing which plants you should grow from seed and which are worthwhile to buy as starts, and which propagation methods are best for most herbs in the book.

And, of course, in the style we have come to expect from Gayla, there are totally gorgeous photos, some funny write-up's, and many delicious recipes for using up all the herbs you are going to grow. This book is one you can come back to again and again when you want to expand your herb garden. It's a keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy Growing.