Evan Leach's Reviews > The Call of Cthulhu

The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft

Mar 29, 2012

bookshelves: 1920-1929, horror, short-stories, american-literature, favorite-villains
Read in March, 2012

This superb short story is justly famous. The Call of Cthulhu is presented as a series of journal entries from the late Francis Thurston. Poor Franny, as the executor of his uncle’s estate, stumbles across some disturbing papers that lead him on a worldwide hunt for answers as to just what the hell this is:

squishy cthulhu

Hmmm perhaps this isn’t properly conveying the terror this story instills…let me try again:

[image error]

That’s better! This story is pretty short so I don’t want to go much further into the plot. But it is well structured, letting the terror slowly build up to a horrifying climax. I have read about 18 of Lovecraft’s short stories by now and Call of Cthulhu is probably the best of them. The only word of warning I will give regards Lovecraft’s language. As noted in other reviews, Lovecraft’s writing is very unique and kind of verbose. I love his style, but I can see how people find it hammy.

But if, like me, you enjoy Lovecraft’s lugubrious language and daemonic descriptions, then you’re going to love this story. I can’t believe I waited this long to read it and urge others not to make the same mistake. If you enjoy horror stories or just weird stories in general this is a must read. 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of Cthulhu.

04/13/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan It is on the Stack...

Evan Leach Ryan wrote: "It is on the Stack..."

This is only like 30-40 pages too so you can mow through it in no time when you're in between books.

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Aye. Maybe I will this weekend.