Andrea's Reviews > When Destiny Knocks

When Destiny Knocks by Heather M. White

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-paranormal

As bad as I hate to, I'm calling a DNF on When Destiny Knocks.

I have a couple different reasons. First, the premise. An almost-17yo girl moves to a new town(more about that in a minute), new school. She's not happy about this move. She meets a new guy. They have an instant connection, there are sparks when they touch. She finds out that she has a secret destiny and the boy plays a part. They are on opposite sides. He is willing to sacrifice his family (offering, with a smile, to kill his dad). And here is where I stopped.

Second, about the town. The story is set in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I used to live there, so perhaps I'm a bit (okay, a lot)biased. Jonesboro is actually a great place. I know compared to Manhattan, that's like one city block, but it does have over 65,000+ people, not exactly a hole in the wall.

Lastly,I had an issue with something mentioned about the high school. The main character enrolls at West Side, and made a snarky internal remark about the school having a metal detector. As if she couldn't believe people in Arkansas needed it. And this did not sit well with me. For starters, a lot of guys in Arkansas carry pocket knives. All the guys I knew carried them to school. Not a big deal in 1996 (gasp!I'm old) but a huge deal now.

But here's the big deal with that statement. A lot of people may not remember the March 1998 West Side Middle School Massacre. It got overshadowed by the Columbine shooting in 1999.(Here's a great article about the story, http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net..., where I got all my facts because my brain was fuzzy on the subject.) Anyway, two students pulled a fire alarm and murdered one teacher and four students as they evacuated. One other teacher and nine more students were injured. It was devastating, to say the least. I guess what I'm saying is: Either have another student explain to the mc about the shooting or pick another school (there are a lot to choose from in Jonesboro) to set it at because honestly, I couldn't concentrate on the story after that remark.

I will say,if the subject is further addressed and explained later in the story, then I apologize and would happily add that to my review.

No matter what I've said, my feelings are my own. There are a lot of people who've enjoyed the story. I encourage you to check out their reviews as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Destiny Knocks.

05/31/2012
05/31/2012
3.0% "This is set in a great,small city i lived in. i hope its portrayed in a positive way."

Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson since I am from Arkansas too...I felt the same way you did about Jonesboro and the school.

message 2: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Mandy (I read Indie) wrote: "since I am from Arkansas too...I felt the same way you did about Jonesboro and the school."

Okay, that's good to know. I was afraid I was being overly sensitive.

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Jul 08, 2012 01:59PM) (new) - added it

Andrea Heather wrote: "I don't know if you realize, but I AM FROM ARKANSAS. I have family that goes to that school, and what you said was very unkind. I remember the school shooting! I will NEVER forget the day it happen..."

Wow. I stated my thoughts in a very kind,honest way. I actually did know you live in Arkansas, but I honestly didn't care and dont know what that has to do w/anything.

I did not attack you. I stated my honest feelings. I think the only person coming out of this looking like a douche is you.

message 4: by Gabbi (new)

Gabbi  Calabrese Great review, Andrea! I totally understand your problem. I live in Arkansas, and one of my cousins used to go to West Side, and up until they moved a few months ago, his mother was still very concerned about that shooting. Also, one of my cousins actually ATTENDED the school when the whole thin occurred and it's a BIG DEAL.

message 5: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Gabbi wrote: "Great review, Andrea! I totally understand your problem. I live in Arkansas, and one of my cousins used to go to West Side, and up until they moved a few months ago, his mother was still very conce..."

Thanks, Gabby. I just felt it could've at least been explained in the book.

Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews} Andrea, thanks for YOUR HONEST REVIEW AND OPINION!!!
Totally wrong of this author to call you a douche!! I thought you were fair in sharing your opinion w/us.
If authors write about real-life topics or subjects then they should totally understand that not everyone will enjoy reading about it in a fictional book! I had a similar reaction to a book that I started reading but couldn't finish because it was so hard to relive the emotions all over again.

message 7: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Andrea wrote: "Heather wrote: "I don't know if you realize, but I AM FROM ARKANSAS. I have family that goes to that school, and what you said was very unkind. I remember the school shooting! I will NEVER forget t..."

ALSO...it is not my job to research an author prior to reading their book. I only care about the Author's life if I'm reading a biography or autobiography.

message 8: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Lisa wrote: "Andrea, thanks for YOUR HONEST REVIEW AND OPINION!!!
If authors write about real-life top..."

Thanks. Like it or not, each reader brings something of themselves into books they read. If the author doesn't agree, fine. But the name-calling was crossing a line.

message 9: by Carin (new)

Carin It seems to me if an author can't take a persons opinion about the work they put out with out flying off the handle and attacking people then maybe they need to find a new line of work. Something that involves never being criticized or reviewed. Oh wait everything in life is subject to someones opinion.
Heather if I had been inclined to read anything you wrote this little temper tantrum over a review has insured I won't bother.

message 10: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Carin wrote: "It seems to me if an author can't take a persons opinion about the work they put out with out flying off the handle and attacking people then maybe they need to find a new line of work. Something ..."

What's sad is that the author hurt herself more than I ever could.

message 11: by Hollyberry (new)

Hollyberry WOW!! I hope Heather realizes that she just shot herself in the foot for having any other bloggers review her work, no one is going to want to after a reaction like that! I think you did a great review Andrea!

message 12: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Thank you. It's sad that she's hurt herself more than my opinion did.

message 13: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Jefford Andrea, you have a fantastic review writing voice.

It's unfortunate that when you become a public writing figure you attract grumpy pants. I worked at a newspaper and we received our fair share of bitchy callers over the most ridiculous stuff. One artist called to ream me out for using the word "hubby" to describe his wife and him. *Eye roll*

Just know that for every one cad a million more appreciate your opinions.

message 14: by The Cheap Reader (new)

The Cheap Reader This is a fantastic DNF review! You perfectly explain why the book didn't work for you. It's a shame that the author had to act like a fool.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I hope you screenshot that comment. You're right, the author hurt herself more than your review. I thought it was honest, well written and didn't think you wrote anything to warrant her calling you a "douche". Sorry actions like that from an author will automatically put them in my "No Thanks" author list.

message 16: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Nikki wrote: "Andrea, you have a fantastic review writing voice.

Thank you very much, Nikki!

message 17: by Krystle (new)

Krystle I thought you had a very well supported argument as to why you couldn't finish this book and you weren't mean-spirited or snarky at all (which I can be guilty of at times but I thoroughly explain my viewpoint and position on things), so it's deplorable that the author would call you a douche!

I think you should screencap it just in case as evidence.

message 18: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Alison wrote: "This is a fantastic DNF review! You perfectly explain why the book didn't work for you. It's a shame that the author had to act like a fool."

Thank you. She honestly hurt herself more than my opinion did.

message 19: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Krystle wrote: "I thought you had a very well supported argument as to why you couldn't finish this book and you weren't mean-spirited or snarky at all (which I can be guilty of at times but I thoroughly explain m..."

Thank you. I've always strived to be fair and kind. I'm honestly fine an author not liking my review, but there is never an excuse for name-calling.

I did screencap the comment. Thanks!

message 20: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Debbie wrote: "I hope you screenshot that comment. You're right, the author hurt herself more than your review. I thought it was honest, well written and didn't think you wrote anything to warrant her calling you..."

I did screencap it. Thank you so much!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

message 22: by Andrea (last edited Jul 08, 2012 03:48PM) (new) - added it

Andrea Kara wrote: "Already screencapped and added to my review. Feel free to use it, Andrea. Sorry this happened to you."

Thanks Kara! Knowing I have a friend like you makes me feel a lot better.

message 23: by Giselle (last edited Jul 08, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Giselle Umm ok, I can't believe the author just called you a douche. That is just NOT right! And, who the eff cares where the author's from - to be honest, knowing she's FROM the state where the book takes place and falsely portrayed the town... that's kind of worse, no!? I thought this was a very fair, well-written, and honest review. I mean, how's she gonna deal with an actual snarky review? (It's coming)

Another one bites the dust.

message 24: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Giselle wrote: "Omg, I can't believe the author just called you a douche. Who the eff cares where the author's from - but to be honest, knowing she's FROM the state where the book takes place with a falsely portra..."

Yeah, luckily I can handle it. ;-) But I was very mad at first. And yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking about snark. Are you reviewing it?

message 25: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Well.. I won't waste time reading it, but maybe I'll review based the cover. I don't like the green lettering.

message 26: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Giselle wrote: "Well.. I won't waste time reading it, but maybe I'll review based the cover. I don't like the green lettering."

Lmao!!

Kim (Sliced Open Reviews) Andrea, this is a beautiful example of a professional way to handle a DNF and it blows me away that the author took it personally

– because –

Well, you were not reviewing HER you were reviewing HER WORK and it seems she is confused. Does she not realize that even DNF reviews inspire some readers to pick-up that book? Possibly now that she has ruined her chances with you, me and 1000’s of other bloggers ever touching a piece of her work she will realize that…too bad it will be a little too late.

As always I love the work you do and keep it up!

message 28: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Arndt WOW I won this book in a giveaway and have it on my reader to be read soon. DELETE. not cool.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL I saw her twitter. I added it to my review. Of course it's about Andrea's review. This author cannot treat readers like this. She needs to put her big girl panties on and deal. If she can't handle the fact that not everyone is going to love her work then she needs to find another career field. And fast.

message 30: by Nereyda (new)

Nereyda Gonzalez Wow! What is up with authors attacking bloggers who don't give them the reviews they wanted? I got a review request from her a while back and I just didn't think it was for me. Luckily I didn't waste my time. Great DNF review!

message 31: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Connor Carin wrote: "It seems to me if an author can't take a persons opinion about the work they put out with out flying off the handle and attacking people then maybe they need to find a new line of work. Something ..."

And what's so insane was the review wasn't that bad. If a book sounds interesting to me I usually read it despite of any less than glowing reviews. This girl has a lot of growing up to do, I can't think of one author, not one in all the history of authors, who hasn't recv'd a bad review =I This girl shot her self in the foot as they only reason I came to read the review is because the author's response is blasted all over facebook and twitter. As an author I am applaud and embarassed by her behavior and likewise will not be reading anything from this author.

message 32: by Jessica-Robyn (last edited Jul 08, 2012 05:37PM) (new)

Jessica-Robyn That author is so out of line. Your review is great Andrea, DNF are hard to write, and your link was incredibly helpful to my curiosity. It's disappointing that your respectful and honest review were greeted by a childish and whiny author. Who of course turns to twitter.

I totally agree with what other commenter's have said before, if you're going to set your book in a real place, you have to deal with the real consequences of not respecting its history. I would be interested to see if it is mentioned in the book, but from the author's response and how she doesn't defend herself by saying it is. I'm going to guess not. If I had picked this up off the shelf I would have never known the connection because I know just as much about Arkansas as I do about Saturn. And that would have been a disservice to the city it's set in.

message 33: by Loretta (new)

Loretta I am so sorry Andrea you had to be called a NAME for your thoughts. Which were I THOUGHT Fair, and very "classy"!!!
This author will not be supported by me, ever! I think this being a DNF for you, you did great.

She is not professional at all. & needs to look into another job if she cannot handle someone NOT LIKING HER BOOK!! THIS WAS SO UNFAIR TO YOU. I am seriously pissed!!!
So sorry hun!

message 34: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Jessica-Robyn wrote: "That author is so out of line. Your review is great Andrea, DNF are hard to write, and your link was incredibly helpful to my curiosity. It's disappointing that your respectful and honest review we..."

Thank you! I was worried that I was overreacting about the scenario, but three other Arkansans have told me they felt the same way.

message 35: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Nereyda wrote: "Wow! What is up with authors attacking bloggers who don't give them the reviews they wanted? I got a review request from her a while back and I just didn't think it was for me. Luckily I didn't was..."

Exactly. If your not prepared for honesty, don't seek out ppl to read/review your book.

message 36: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Kim (Sliced Open Reviews) wrote: "Andrea, this is a beautiful example of a professional way to handle a DNF and it blows me away that the author took it personally

– because –

Well, you were not reviewing HER you were reviewing ..."

Thank you very much, Kim!

message 37: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Giselle wrote: "And did you see this:

I'm going to assume it's about this review since it was tweeted at the same time she wrote the comment above.

1) Does anyone see where Andrea says she wrote it for publicit..."

That's funny! The thing is, she's missing the point. I don't care that she's upset over my opinion. I'm mad b/c she came to my review and calleding me a freaking Douche.
Ugh. I'm over it, but it's funny.

Thanks again, Girl!

message 38: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Loretta wrote: "I am so sorry Andrea you had to be called a NAME for your thoughts. Which were I THOUGHT Fair, and very "classy"!!!

Its ridiculous, right?? Thank you so much. I truly appreciate that!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy Fournier I think that your DNF review was great. You stated why you didn't like it and why you couldn't finish. I think you were honest and respectful and it's a shame that the author had to resort to insults. I tried like hell to figure out how to remove this from my to read shelf and ended up creating a will never read shelf since I couldn't.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather, this reviewer has a right to her opinion. You do not get to come on here and try to suppress an opinion. You are way out of line. You need to be the professional. From what I have seen, you are acting like a spoiled brat.
Welcome to the banned list.

message 41: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Amy wrote: "I think that your DNF review was great. You stated why you didn't like it and why you couldn't finish. I think you were honest and respectful and it's a shame that the author had to resort to insul..."

Thanks so much, sweetie. Thing is, I never tried to stop anyone from reading the book, despite my feelings. She's done a brilliant job of alienating readers all on her own.

message 42: by Howdy YAL (new) - added it

Howdy YAL Andrea, I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. I think you raised some valid concerns about the book. And it just disturbs me that the author would lash out at you like this.

Heather, everyone has the right to your opinion. They pay for your book to read it not to like it. Plus, you're not a hundred dollar bill, not everyone is going to like you.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "The thought of being called a name for an opinion is seriously makes me want to not review. "

I hope you do keep reviewing. Authors never have the right to take that away from you. She has some issues from what I have seen from another thread. There was nothing wrong with the review.

Angela (Reading Angels) Andrea, as someone who meet and liked this author in person I'm very sad that she has attacked you like this. That's not an OPINION, it's an attack on you (name calling) on an HONEST and fair thought on the book.

I'm sorry you had this happen to you :(

message 45: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea YAL Book Briefs wrote: "Andrea, I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. I think you raised some valid concerns about the book. And it just disturbs me that the author would lash out at you like this.

Heather, everyon..."

Thank you.

message 46: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Reading Angel wrote: "Andrea, as someone who meet and liked this author in person I'm very sad that she has attacked you like this. That's not an OPINION, it's an attack on you (name calling) on an HONEST and fair thou..."

Thanks a bunch, Angel. Truly!

message 47: by Kalee (new)

Kalee Stegehuis Hollyberry wrote: "WOW!! I hope Heather realizes that she just shot herself in the foot for having any other bloggers review her work, no one is going to want to after a reaction like that! I think you did a great re..."
I agree.
Andrea, that was a great (and completely fair) review. It is a great thing to be honest and authors should always appreciate a readers honesty, it will prove to be one of his or her best writing tools. Instead of taking offense to something like this, Heather should have noted your disappointment and reconsidered making similar errors in future novels. As it is, she has only fouled her reputation, and I pity any author who lacks the professionalism to understand that being a true author is more than just putting together a novel.

message 48: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Zooey wrote: "Hollyberry wrote: "WOW!! I hope Heather realizes that she just shot herself in the foot for having any other bloggers review her work, no one is going to want to after a reaction like that! I think..."

So well put! Thank you.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

She hasn't. She just called me a moron on Melissa's review. LOL. What a turkey.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. I just can't. At least we'll have something to chat about on Friday at the chat party. I do hope you are coming. You too Andrea.

« previous 1