Amy's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

F 50x66
Apr 28, 2012

Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

What an enjoyable book! I loved the written-in-all-letters format, so you get that break from the traditional first- or third-person omniscient point of view. Set in and around London in 1946 after WWII (I seem to be stuck in this time period!), this is a fascinating view of how Europe handled the aftermath of the war--picking up the pieces of the city, befriending those you might never have otherwise known, and having stories to pass on to future generations about the German and French occupation of a tiny island off the coast of England called Guernsey. The best part about this book was the cast of characters. I feel like I want to travel to Guernsey to meet them all...but they do not exist. The formal language, the wit--I found myself laughing out loud! Oh, how I wish we still wrote letters like this--so descriptively and dramatically...instead of resorting to a limit of 160 characters, changing words to numbers, etc. It was so nice to escape to this wonderful little picturesque island and go back in time for a while!

message 1: by L (last edited Apr 01, 2012 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Miller You won't regret this read, Amy! Absolutely one of my all-time favorites!

Shirl A good read. You'll enjoy it.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen This will actually be the next book I read - I friend of mine loaned it to me. Can't wait to read it as I too seem to be stuck in the WWII time period!!