Amy's Reviews > Climbing The Broken Stairs, A Memoir

Climbing The Broken Stairs, A Memoir by Frieda Annette Adkins

F_50x66
Apr 10, 12

Read from March 29 to April 01, 2012 — I own a copy

If you want to feel like the perfect mother, read this. It's difficult for me to recommend this book because of the language and graphic depictions of sexual abuse the author describes from her childhood. I chose this book to read because the author is from Pittsburgh, and I recognized the areas and streets around town that she mentions in the book. I had to read to the end, however, because sad as the book was, I sensed a glimmer of hope in the author's voice that all would turn out OK. Although her upbringing did not involve church or God (quite the opposite), she kept referencing God as her one and only hope. The ending was not what I expected--such a happy end to a nightmare of a first 18 years.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Climbing The Broken Stairs, A Memoir.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frieda (new)

Frieda Adkins Hi Amy,

Pittsburgh, in better light, is a truly beautiful city. While it's understood that your initial reasons for choosing my book was for the city itself, I thank you for taking the time to know my story. It's also true that I knew very little of God during my childhood. The opportunities to grow closer to Him and to love Him better were lost; and yet, just that small glimpse of God that I was privileged know is what I believe in my heart of hearts rescued me. I’ll never be able to justly describe the day I felt God presence, but, in that moment, I knew that He was capable of great and wonderful things…my reservation was whether I was worthy of His blessings.

Thanks for your review!

Frieda

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Frieda wrote: "Hi Amy,

Hi, Frieda!

I'm so flattered that you responded to my comment! Thank you for being open-minded and fair. Your book has definitely haunted me more than most, and when I look around at strangers, I have a new perspective: I wonder what goes on in their homes. I search children's eyes for signs of help or loneliness. Whenever the moment or whatever the time, I am so glad that God touched your heart. I am a deeply devout Christian, and I will pray that He will continue to feed your soul and erase your past. I have an 11-year-old daughter, and as I read your book, I desired to just hold her tight and protect her. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to be a mother and undo with your children what your mother did to you. I'm so happy that things turned around for you. My heart truly goes out to you. May God bless you richly.