Danica Midlil's Reviews > Little Lamb, Have You Any Wool?

Little Lamb, Have You Any Wool? by Isabel Minhós Martins

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: clothing, knitting, picture-books, sheep
Read in August, 2012

Yikes. This was bad! I really wanted to like it being a avid knitter and sheep enthusiast, especially since it features a little Boy knitting, but the bad far outweighs the good in this book.
The text read like it was about to rhyme...but didn't. Little lamb, little lamb, have you any wool is a nursery RHYME! As in it's supposed to RHYME, idiot! So we have the setup for a rhyming couplet without the second verse! I found that extremely off-putting as I'm trying to read it aloud. I'm trying to find the rhythm but there isn't any to find! The back flap says the author lives in Portugal; perhaps the text didn't translate well? Could that be what happened here? It actually sounds like someone who doesn't speak english. People don't really sound like that. Why would you write a book to sound that awkward and forced?
And what is up with the two page spread of finger people? Nothing alludes to his fingers being unhappy people in the text. Instead we are given the horrible simile: "My fingers are as icy as little icicles." Wow. Imagine that. Icicles are icy?!? No kidding? (Smacks forehead)
I really can't understand how this went all the way to publication.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Lamb, Have You Any Wool?.