Karla's Reviews > Knight

Knight by Kristen Ashley

Mar 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 1st-person-pov, bad-asses, bad-boy, dirty-talk, dom, f-bomb, foul-mouthed-h, ka-isms, scorching-hot, bossy-alpha-male, ditzy-heroine
Read in August, 2012

3 Stars! Just Okay! I enjoyed the first half of the book and then I got somewhat bored. I wanted some excitement, character development, passion, an all-consuming read, what I’ve come to expect from Kristen Ashley… and this fell flat.

Knight was sexy in his own way. I didn’t care that he smoked, that’s just a reality of life, some people do, or that he used the word f*ck…A LOT!! Initially I found him to be charming and I liked how he went all alpha protective on Anya, but once he possessed her, he lost some of his appeal. Anya was tits, ass and Buddha belly…THAT IS IT!! She was very one-dimensional, not much to her and she rambled on in her head, way too much!

While the sex was steamy and very hot, there was very little chemistry between Anya and Knight. At times the sex felt robotic and repetitious. Finger f*ck Anya, oral sex for Anya, orgasm, orgasm, orgasm, assume the missionary position-Knight’s version, Knight gets off, clean-up Knight’s way…repeat! Where was the passion KA’s heroes are known for, the gruff that turns to tender, the bossy that becomes beautiful?? We read about how Knight makes sweet love to Anya, or so she tells us, and then it all fades to black. You can do erotic with emotion; I’ve read books where it’s done very well, not here though. The Daddy issue…not my thing. I know there’s been a lot of debate over this “endearment”, not quite sure if that’s the right word to use, but it made me cringe every time it was said, especially when it used during sex.

The true nature and revelation of Knight’s business ventures, aside from the club, were presented too late in the book and Anya’s shoulder shrugging acceptance of it all, was way too easy and hard to believe. I would think since this is the “anti-hero bombshell” moment with the intent to shock the reader, that it would have been discussed and explored with a bit more depth. In my opinion it should have been brought into play sooner, so it could become the foundation of the story, which would have made for a much more interesting read.

I applaud Kristen Ashley for attempting something different with her Unfinished-Hero series. I have no problem with the nature of what Knight is and what he does. I’ve read stories before where the underlying theme is not one I would condone, but have been able to connect with the characters, have empathy for them and their circumstances, because the author gives me the emotional connection I need to garner these sentiments…I didn’t get that here.

Bottom line, this is the first book by Kristen Ashley that didn’t hold my attention from start to finish. It wasn’t terrible; it just lost me along the way. I’m a huge Kristen Ashley fan and will continue to read her amazing books, including the next one in this series.

Knight Sebring
images-2

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knight.

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Awesome and honest review Karla! This book has had so many varied reviews, from good to bad. I think...I can leave this for a while longer on the bookshelf.

Karla Wendy wrote: "Awesome and honest review Karla! This book has had so many varied reviews, from good to bad. I think...I can leave this for a while longer on the bookshelf."

Thanks Wendy! I haven't read KA in a while and I needed a fix...wrong book to pick. You might feel differently.

Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞ great review Karla..."orgasm orgasm....repeat" bust me up but so true.

this was actually my first KA book...glad i gave some others a try!

Karla ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "great review Karla..."orgasm orgasm....repeat" bust me up but so true.

this was actually my first KA book...glad i gave some others a try!"

Thanks Sharon! She has fantastic books that are sensual and passionate. This one was felt robotic to me.

message 5: by Erin (last edited Aug 27, 2012 09:58AM) (new) - added it

Erin Muses Do you think it is suffering from what I think of as KA Syndrome - she's pushing them out so fast that everything just starts to jumble together? I like an alpha hero just as much as the next (slightly romance-crazed) girl, but I also want to be able to tell these guys apart!

message 6: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Great review Karla! Looks like you had a lot of the same issues that I had. This just didn't feel like a KA book and I couldn't really connect with Knight and if I am honest I didn't like him at all!

I will go on and read the next one purely because it is a KA but I am so hoping that it is different from this one!

Jill Wow, this is one of the best and fairest reviews I've read of Knight (which I really didn't like)! And I agree with you Karla, I couldn't feel the chemistry between the H/h. But unlike you, I'm finished with this series.

Btw, I loathe smoking. But. That pic is Knight!

~ Becs ~ God, I love that pic x

message 9: by Karla (last edited Aug 27, 2012 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karla Erin wrote: "Do you think it is suffering from what I think of as KA Syndrome - she's pushing them out so fast that everything just starts to jumble together? I like a alpha hero just as much as the next (slig..."

Maybe Erin, and that's why I don't read her books the as soon as they are released. Honestly I've on read about a third of her books. Normally I get consumed by the story, I have a hard time putting the book down, that wasn't a problem here.

Karla Dee wrote: "Great review Karla! Looks like you had a lot of the same issues that I had. This just didn't feel like a KA book and I couldn't really connect with Knight and if I am honest I didn't like him at al..."

Thanks Dee! I liked him initially, thought he was interesting, he had those KA aplha traits, then Knight and the story just got boring.

Karla Jill wrote: "Wow, this is one of the best and fairest reviews I've read of Knight (which I really didn't like)! And I agree with you Karla, I couldn't feel the chemistry between the H/h. But unlike you, I'm fin..."

Wow...thanks Jill! No chemistry here, I didn't get the toe-curling feeling like I normally do when the couples are lovin' in her other books. I'm not a fan of smoking myself, but I have a brother and friends who do, it was probably one of the most realistic factors in the book.

Karla Becs wrote: "God, I love that pic x"

Thanks Becs! I've had it in my folder for a while and knew it was Knight the minute I started reading about him.

Wminbc He is hawt! Yes...he would be a great Knight! I can see why Anya would overlook so much to keep looking at him!

Wminbc Great review, BTW...I loved the book...but Anya did not strike me as a sharp one. She was happy with Knight and with the life he could provide her. She just isn't that deep and I don't fault her for that. We all make different choices in life, but she saw her chance at love and grabbed it. I can't say that I would have ever choose as she did, but then having a University Degree or two gives me more options and my faith meant a man with the same faith and values. Awaiting, Creed and Sylvie now! Cheers

Wminbc Karla wrote: "Jill wrote: "Wow, this is one of the best and fairest reviews I've read of Knight (which I really didn't like)! And I agree with you Karla, I couldn't feel the chemistry between the H/h. But unlike..."

Also, I have never smoked anything in my life, but I dated smokers be in University. One in particular was soooo smoking hot (pun intended) that I would even go ask other guys to bum smokes from for him! I made even more smoking buddies. Watching him roll the drum was hawt too! just sayin'...politically incorrect but super hot until you have to kiss the ash tray.

Karla Wminbc wrote: "Great review, BTW...I loved the book...but Anya did not strike me as a sharp one. She was happy with Knight and with the life he could provide her. She just isn't that deep and I don't fault her ..."

Thanks!! I know so many people enjoyed the book, and it had its moments, but not as many as I would have liked.

" Watching him roll the drum was hawt too! just sayin'...politically incorrect but super hot until you have to kiss the ash tray."

Hehe...the things we take pleasure in! I've kissed the ashtray, blech!

Monique ~ Sinfully We have this as a buddy read next month for those oj us that are still new to Kristen Ashley...could be intersting with this one!! Great review Karla, as always sweetie very considerate and objective. Love it:)

Ooooh and the guy in the pic, your Knight...HOT:)

Karla Monique wrote: "We have this as a buddy read next month for those oj us that are still new to Kristen Ashley...could be intersting with this one!! Great review Karla, as always sweetie very considerate and object..."

Thanks Monique. I'd love to see what you pick to read and stalk your comments. I think she is just so much better than this book, but that's just my opinion.

Candice I agree with your review totally! Thanks Karla -

Karla Candice wrote: "I agree with your review totally! Thanks Karla -

"Where was the passion KA’s heroes are known for, the gruff that turns to tender, the bossy that becomes beautiful?? " Too True"

Thank you Candice! This one really brought about so many different opinions and it's interesting to see everyone's take on the book.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Bummer. I hope Creed's story will work for you, Karla. Great and honest review!

Karla Baba wrote: "Bummer. I hope Creed's story will work for you, Karla. Great and honest review!"

Thanks Baba, I'm definitely going to keep reading the series, there's hope for me.

Amelia I hate that I didn't love this book the way I love most of KA's books. I think your review of Knight is spot-on and said the things that I only thought but couldn't articulate. I'm really wondering if I should even give Creed a try because I don't want to not like another of KA's books when she's written so many wonderful stories.

Karla Amelia wrote: "I hate that I didn't love this book the way I love most of KA's books. I think your review of Knight is spot-on and said the things that I only thought but couldn't articulate. I'm really wondering..."

Thank you Amelia. I wanted like this book more too, but I'm going to read Creed and give it one more shot. Who knows we might like the next and no one else will. LOL!

Amelia Karla wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I hate that I didn't love this book the way I love most of KA's books. I think your review of Knight is spot-on and said the things that I only thought but couldn't articulate. I'm r..."

That would be interesting! I will venture tentatively through Creed. *crosses fingers and hopes there's no baby/daddy talk in Creed. Cringe*

Vallsykes Karla wrote: "the sex felt robotic and repetitious. Finger f*ck Anya, oral sex for Anya, orgasm, orgasm, orgasm, assume the missionary position-Knight’s version, Knight gets off, clean-up Knight’s way…repeat! Where was the passion KA’s heroes are known for, the gruff that turns to tender, the bossy that becomes beautiful??"

LMAO! I'd just scanned thru some of Knight, to get some recollection b4 reading the working chapts of Creed. Darn, you described some of the sex scenes in a light that just made me go "hmmm....urm,ugh...oh boy" Totally re-colored my image. LOL
Good review.

Karla Vallsykes wrote: "Karla wrote: "the sex felt robotic and repetitious. Finger f*ck Anya, oral sex for Anya, orgasm, orgasm, orgasm, assume the missionary position-Knight’s version, Knight gets off, clean-up Knight’s ..."

Thanks Vallsykes! It might not have seemed that way for everyone, but the sex was always the same, I wanted some variety and passion!

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Great review Karla. I'm sure KA next book will be fantastic for you.

Karla Kathleen wrote: "Great review Karla. I'm sure KA next book will be fantastic for you."

I hope so, thanks Kathleen!

Kristen Sorry this one fell short for you, Karla. You gave a well thought out and honest review. Nicely done!

Karla Kristen wrote: "Sorry this one fell short for you, Karla. You gave a well thought out and honest review. Nicely done!"

It's okay...KA has so many other great books and more coming, you can't win them all! Thanks Kristen.

Kelly As always, great review, Karla! I'm sorry this wasn't a better read for you, though. I'm reading this with a group soon. I've been thinking that I should read a different KA book first. That way my first KA experience is a guarenteed to be a good one!

Wminbc Kelly wrote: "As always, great review, Karla! I'm sorry this wasn't a better read for you, though. I'm reading this with a group soon. I've been thinking that I should read a different KA book first. That way m..."

First KA...The Gamble! Then Sweet Dreams! Love, love, love!

Karla Kelly wrote: "As always, great review, Karla! I'm sorry this wasn't a better read for you, though. I'm reading this with a group soon. I've been thinking that I should read a different KA book first. That way m..."

Thanks Kelly. IMO, KA has so much better this, but then again you might enjoy it. I feel that in her other books the characters have so much more depth and
the stories are more captivating. I'm curious to see what you and your group think about this. Enjoy!

message 35: by Karla (last edited Aug 29, 2012 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karla Wminbc wrote: "Kelly wrote: "As always, great review, Karla! I'm sorry this wasn't a better read for you, though. I'm reading this with a group soon. I've been thinking that I should read a different KA book fir..."

I agree! I loved The Gamble so much I'm thinking of re-reading and changing my rating, and well Sweet Dreams...I have no words!!

Kelly Karla wrote: "Kelly wrote: "As always, great review, Karla! I'm sorry this wasn't a better read for you, though. I'm reading this with a group soon. I've been thinking that I should read a different KA book fir..."

Thanks Karla! I think my group decided on Knight because most everyone has read the majority of KA's books. I think The Gamble or Rock Chick would be a better choice for me, but who knows, like you said, I might like Knight. :)

Kelly Wminbc wrote: "Kelly wrote: "As always, great review, Karla! I'm sorry this wasn't a better read for you, though. I'm reading this with a group soon. I've been thinking that I should read a different KA book fir..."

They seem to be everyone's favorites, Wminbc!

Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag Karla,
Like your review but I love love love Knight!!! But I have to get that pic of him that you have out of my head because that is not what I think he looks like!!! LOL Sorry that you really didn't like it. :)

Karla Mariann wrote: "Karla,

Thanks Mariann! No need to be sorry, sometimes it just doesn't work. It's not that I didn't like Knight himself, his and Anya's story just didn't grab me and in comparison to other KA books that I've read, this one just didn't quite do it for me.

MelissaB Karla,

Karla MelissaB wrote: "Karla,

Yep, definitely agree with your review! The story was just okay for me, I wasn't impressed with Knight."

Thanks Melissa! I'm going to continue with the series, I'm curious to see what KA has in store for us.

KindleRomance Reviews Wonderful review Karla!! Always so helpful!

Karla Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Wonderful review Karla!! Always so helpful!"

Thanks Kris! So many readers loved the book, so mine is just one opinion.

Susan I agree. Not my favorite KA book. I noticed this is a Sept buddy read for some. Wouldn't be my first choice for those who've never read KA before. So many better options with which to have your KA cherry popped! :) Great review, girlie!

Karla Thank you Susan! I would have rec'd the Colorado series first.

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️ Great and honest review as always Karla!! Love your Knight picture ;)

Karla Dorsey wrote: "Great and honest review as always Karla!! Love your Knight picture ;)"

Thanks Dorsey!