Julie's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, erotic-romance, bdsm, favorites
Recommended to Julie by: Goodreads Book Club: One Wicked Read A Week
Recommended for: Contemporary/Erotic Romance Lovers
Read from May 21 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

Christian Grey, a young, successful, talented, entrepreneur of the Pacific Northwest has attained multimillionaire status with his insatiable, driven appetite for winning. He has complete control over his world, all aspects of his world! Some might even call him a megalomaniac? Well, his world is no fantasy world. It is brutally real. Christian's dominance is not only real in the business world, but in his private world, as well. That is, until the arrival of Anastasia Steele. The most innocent woman he has ever met threatens to undo all of Christians hard won control. He has paid dearly for this control with a tormented past that is constantly hiding in the shadows.
Anastasia Steele, successful college student and soon-to-be business program graduate is on the brink of entering the business world and beginning a whole new life. How was she to know that doing a favor for her sick roommate would cause destiny to do a 180? The intelligent, innocent, and clumsy "girl-next-door" is about to face a most shocking challenge; a shockingly, erotically, dangerous challenge. Will the game be too much? Or will Ana's "inner-goddess" meet the challenge head-on? Can a game be more than a game? Can Ana dominate the winner's circle by exercising her submissive rights? A story definitely worth reading to find out! :-}

What can I say? It seems consensus has either a reader loving this book or hating it. I definitely place my vote in the first category! There was only one minor point of contention for me, but this did not detract from my overall enjoyment of the book, and I will not mention it here due to its nature of being a **SPOILER**. For one of my first contemporary romance trilogy reads, I was captivated from the first chapter, glued to each page, and unable to put it down until the turn of the last page! Magnificent tragedy, mixed with heart-rending romance, and incomparable eroticism -- What more can a lover of romance reads ask for? A book that has definitely won a fan to contemporary romance. E L James, with this first endeavor, has hit it out of the ballpark!
4 likes · Likeflag

Alexis I LOVE your review ;)

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz I agree with Evie! Excellent review, Julie! You make all the books you read sound so exciting! And I agree with you on your review. But I will admit that I didn't fall in love with Ana. And I'm still not. Having said that, I loved the journey that she goes on with this complicated man. In real life, we can't always "save" the man in our lives, even if he DOES want saving, so this story really resonates with me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Julie Thanks for reading my review!
Liz, I do agree with you about Ana's character. At least with Christian you knew exactly what you were getting, and he was mostly consistent in his character and reactions. I like an Alpha Male who can take control, but when the female is too weak, it diminishes or distorts the effect of the male's dominance and leaves a too nasty taste for me.