Julie's Reviews > Surrender

Surrender by Sonya Hartnett

Mar 30, 12

Read in March, 2012

So this book i read for my honor role list and because it was a mystery. It starts off about this old man and how he is telling a story about what happened to him as a kid. He is slowly dying and some bones were found, and as you read the book you get to figure out what bones he is talking about.
I didn't really like this book. It was kind of weird and i didn't like how it ended at all. It seemed like a pointless book about a man telling his crazy boy story before he died.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna 1. gabriel isn't an old man. he's 20 years old when he dies.
2. the point of the book isn't the bones - is finding out whose bones they were really the main thing you were looking forward to as you read the book?
3. the end was imminent - it was obvious from the start that gabriel was going to die, and soon.
4. not sure how you can even describe the tale as a "crazy boy story". there were about a million perplexing, philosophical aspects to it that i wondered about while reading. is the narrator crazy, or are we, the readers, simply perceiving him to be that way because of our biased opinion? does finnigan really exist?

i understand how some people might not like the book; your review, however, describes it so inaccurately - distorts it, even - it seems like you have entirely forgotten everything you just read.