Jen Fabico's Reviews > The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012-50-book-pledge, adventure, fantasy, romance, series-collection, ya, took-me-longer-than-usual-to-read
Read from April 06 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

Book 21 of 2012's Reading Challenge is The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa. The Iron Queen is the third instalment to the series, The Iron Fey.

As a reader, I must be honest in stating that I truly enjoy books when they are in a series. The collection of not just one adventure but ongoing mischief and chaos with characters whom you've already grown familiar with, excites me. The covers for this entire series so far has been absolutely captivating - simplistic but enchanting at the same time, almost as if it was calling to a reader, "come to me and enjoy this thrilling adventure within me". And once a reader does just that, that is exactly what they receive from Julie Kagawa.

Within this third instalment, heroine and half-mortal half-fey, Meghan Chase finds herself back in the mortal world with the once-Prince, Ash, of the Unseelie Court. Both exiled by the monarchs of their separate courts, they are forced to roam the mortal world without the opportunity of visiting home. Meghan's human family is tight surveillance by fey and although she longs to see her family again, she knows she cannot until all other offences against her are purged. On another adventure with Ash, Puck, Grimalkin and others, Meghan must learn how to fight and where to take her stance in an epic battle that will determine the future of the fey world. Along the way, she must re-learn the mystery of who Paul really is, solve the endless puzzles of the fey including Machina, and determine what the ultimate solution will be. There is an endless possibility of choices: does Meghan save the fey world only to be trapped within its walls once again or does she follow her heart and choose Ash once and for all?

Trudging alongside the characters through muddy waters, bogs and wild forestry, I find myself struggling through the beaten path just as Meghan does. Kagawa invents and describes species that I have never heard of before and I find myself constantly pausing to imagine all of the types of creatures and monstrosities that lurk behind the bushes. Enticingly creative, Kagawa continues to feed the reader with so many ideas, you will find yourself having a hard time just keeping up! Not usually a huge fan of Celtic mythologies, this series has me pleading to take a visit to Ireland to view and feel the majestic and mythical sites.

My favourite character within this series so far has to be Grimalkin, the snide and quick witted cat-sith who seems to always disappear (or appear) at the more dire of times. Without giving away any details, he allows the characters to unravel the small puzzles and find their place in the big picture. Omnipotent, quirky and cynical, I find myself craving more "page" time from this talking cat.

Overall, I am giving this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars. The writing is great, the characters are compelling and the storyline is a little more than eventful! Sometimes, I found myself wanting a nice pause in the book... perhaps that is just me feeling the effects of age. But in addition to that, I found this book to be very predictable - (view spoiler) If that isn't a spoiler, I don't know what is! But the ending was still pretty epic. :)

But there you have it: 3.5/5

The next book will be The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.

04/08/2012 page 20