Josh's Reviews > The Imperfectionists

The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

M 50x66
Mar 29, 12

Read in March, 2012

I cannot praise this novel enough, nor warn the reader adequately. What Rachman manages in this collection of interweaving tales is both brilliant and heartbreaking. I can think of few other first time authors that so clearly use their voice in as strong a way and I can honestly say that I paced this novel out, reading a chapter at a time and savoring each tale.

The book is essentially the story of a newspaper and the people that work there. By focusing on a different main character in each chapter, the book is almost a collection of short stories that weave together to create the larger narrative.

I am judicious when giving books such high marks it may be because I was in need of something good - a story told well be a storyteller, but this pulled me in and kept me hooked. For me, it earned each and every star, and I look forward to seeing what this author has in store for us later.

This all in mind, I want to stress again that these stories make you really care about the characters (in some cases I found my self more engaged by a character in a single chapter than characters I read about for hundred of pages in other books), and when sadness or despair embraces them, you will feel just as affected.

Still, every page is worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfectionists.