Susan's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Apr 02, 12

Read from March 29 to April 01, 2012

Today, and this month marks the 100th anniversary of the Titanic. The Titanic went down historically on April 12th, 1912. On that note, The Lifeboat is being published this month. I was sent a copy by Penguin. I started to read it 2 days ago.

Wow, The Lifeboat blew me away with its narrative. The Lifeboat is literary, but it is also filled with mystery, and suspense. After the Titanic went down, did you ever wonder what it was like on the lifeboats for them? Did you re-call if you saw the movie, Titanic it was said the capacity for the lifeboats was not enough for the capacity for the entire ship. The question, who will survive? Do you sacrifice others to save yourself? What would you do if you were in this situation?

The Lifeboat, is thought provoking and think about mankind and human nature. The lifeboat has a capacity of 40 passengers. 39 passengers were on the lifeboat. It was filled to capacity. The regulations then for lifeboats was not accurate.

The Lifeboat, takes place on a ship, called the Empress Alexandra. The story is told by Grace Winter. She has just been married to her wealthy banker husband, Henry. While on the ship, it explodes. There is implications that her husband bought her a seat on a lifeboat that was filled to capacity. There fits the story, with plenty of twists and turn and mystery, with plenty of accusations, and paranoia, and strong women characters to make you think what you would do any extreme disaster. The story is written into Henry and Grace's romance, and the problems they had before their marriage, his and her family life.

This is one novel, I will set up with little information. This story I felt was that good. It doesn't need any further explanation. Just a fast paced novel that you wish it would not end. The Lifeboat is a satisfying read.

A good summer read, but not while on a cruise. I give it 5 thumbs up. I like to read books at a different time and place, and something I have not experienced, and make you think. This fits the bill. Thank you Anna for a copy to review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.

04/01/2012 page 200
73.0% "I can't put it down. Keeping me up all night. The characters stay with you, and don't forget."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new) - added it

Philip The Titanic went down on April 15th, 1912.