❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)'s Reviews > The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires

The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires by Molly Harper

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, light-romance
Read from August 09 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

I don't think I would have liked this book as much if it hadn't been placed in Half Moon Hollow and I hadn't read the "Nice Girls" series. Having said that, you definitely don't need to read the Nice Girls series to enjoy this one. Not at all. It's just that I loved the characters from that series: Jane and Andrea and Jolene - and it was great fun to see them make appearances in this book as well.

The chemistry between Cal and Iris is a little reminiscent of Gabriel and Jane in the Nice Girls series, so for me the romantic tension didn't come across as strong as it might for someone reading their first Molly Harper vampire story. I'm not a huge fan of plots that involve parenting either, but I have to say, Ms. Harper was genius with this. Truly, Iris is a diabolically effective parent/guardian to a teenaged girl. If I was a parent, I'd take notes. I laughed out loud at several points. And I really liked seeing a healthy family dynamic with genuine fondness for each other. Ms. Harper is a talented writer.

There's a bit of a mystery in this book as well, and the author did a fine job throwing in the red herrings and clues. I'd think I'd know the culprit, and the get thrown off course a bit so I doubted myself. I like that in a mystery.

Overall, a light, fun mystery/light romance/paranormal read. I'll definitely be on the look out for the book hyped at the back: Witch Hunt.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires.