Eden's Reviews > Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: autobiography-biography-memoir, books-i-own, reviewed
Recommended for: Dolly Parton Fans, People who like biographies
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2012

I'm not much a fan of country music and there are a select few country singers that I even like. Dolly Parton is one of them. I grew up listening to her music, watching her movies. My parents even took me to Dollywood a few times and I was always hoping that maybe she would be there that day so I could meet her. I've never met her, but I can still hope to meet her one day.

I only know what I've read online about Dolly Parton, but her book is a whole another experience. Really, she is an amazing and inspiring woman. She knew what she wanted and got it. That is inspiring and I respect her for going after her dreams no matter what anyone said.

Reading about her childhood was really interesting and very funny. I can't tell you how many times I laughed throughout this book. Dolly really has a wonderful sense of humor. I liked reading about her husband and it seems like they have a great relationship and really love each other.

Dolly really shines in this book, as you read it, you can almost hear her voice and laugh as she wrote all the crazy things that went on in her life. And her relationship with the Great Spirit (God) was a very interesting read. I didn't expect her to have beliefs similar to mine and the books she has read are definitely ones that I'd read. Honestly, I tend to not like books that talk about God too much, as they tend to be preachy and basically tell you what to believe. Dolly doesn't do that. She just talks about her beliefs and what the Great Spirit (God) has done for her life. She accepts everyone no matter what their beliefs and that's really nice to read she is like that.

Dolly is definitely honest in this book and I really like that. The book was really a good read and I know so much more about Dolly Parton than I did before. I still hope to meet her one day and hopefully, she will write another book too. If she does, you can bet I'll read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolly.

03/29/2012 page 1