Richard's Reviews > The Bullpen Gospels: A Non-Prospect's Pursuit of the Major Leagues and the Meaning of Life

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst

Mar 29, 12

Read from March 24 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

As we all know, sports in general and baseball in particular is both popular and remarkable because of their metaphor to life. This book is as much about life as it is about the author's and his teams' 2007 season in the California and Texas Leagues.

At first, Dirk Hayhurst comes off as a complete jerk as he displays his complete disrespect for his dysfunctional family. However, beginning in Chapter 4 (of 48 total... they are all pretty short), he starts to gain a more mature understanding of both life and baseball as he befriends a homeless man. Throughout the rest of the book, in fits and starts, he becomes the kind of man that most would be proud to be.

A significant part of the book relates the juvenile hi-jinx of his teammates during the season. If gross-out or sophomoric humor isn't your thing, this book will likely turn you off. Personally, I'm disappointed to learn that (barely) grown men act the way they do in the situations shown, but I suppose I'm not surprised. Sociologically, it's rather interesting. The stories are well-written and seem authentic. A few are actually heart-warming. And the book is largely about the maturation process, so we have to begin in the realm of immaturity.

In the end, I thought the book was worthwhile and insightful. And it is a quick read. As I write this, the 2012 baseball season is about to get underway. What better way to get prepared than to read some baseball?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bullpen Gospels.