Min's Reviews > Certain Girls

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Jan 06, 11

I was excited about this book since it was a return to Cannie Shapiro's world. We met Cannie in Good In Bed, where Cannie (like author Weiner) lives in Philadelphia. This book picked up twelve years after where GiB left off.

Joy is preparing for her bat mitzvah, and Cannie is figuring out how to navigate being a wife, a mother of an adolescent, and a good Jewish mother all at once. The last she needs is for Joy to read the semi-autobiographical book Cannie wrote right after Joy's birth detailing the circumstances of Joy's conception and the relationship between her birth parents.

Weiner's narration alternates between Cannie's voice and Joy's voice. I'm not sure if seeing things from Joy's perspective was supposed to make her more sympathetic, but it didn't. I found Joy to be whiny and ungrateful. I generally raced through her chapters and then luxuriated in Cannie's chapters.

And I was not at all prepared for the punch at the end. Once again, one of Weiner's books reduced me to tears. Oy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Certain Girls.